Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

will my deer be run off

Old 06-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default will my deer be run off

i just got moved into my new house on my 135 acres and it has plenty of deer and lots of turkey and now my wife brought home a puppy its a blue heiler and boxer mix and i was wondering will this dog run all my deer off or do any of you guys have dogs around your deer hunting land or what can i do to prevent them from being run off what is your guys expert opinion thanks alot
Old 06-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: will my deer be run off

fence!!! no dog should be left out becuase most will chase game....if you dont want that happening keep him close to your house...a chain....run...fence..theres many ways to keep them close....
Old 06-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have talked to a couple of people that have had good results with the underground wire and shock collar. When the dog crosses the buried wire he gets a jolt. After a couple of times they will stay in the yard.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two Kirilian bear dogs and it depends on the time of year if and when I let my dogs run loose, if its winter time and snow on the ground I' ll them run loose with me but dureing spring dureing birthing season for the deer/elk and other critters I walk my dogs on a leash or they will stay inside or outside in a pen, but my dogs have a killer instinct also, not too sure about your breed of dog, but I think yours may be more mellowed out as opposed to mine. I know there are some breeds that would not feel bothered by deer, but then again you have a breed like mine and you treat it as such, so I am sure there is only one way to find out is turn him loose and find out and if he drives the deer away, then make changes as the deer will always come back in time, good luck and let us know the results, Bobby
Old 06-25-2003, 05:39 AM

I have a boxer, and an akita, lab mix, They both run almost all year. They are trained to stay close to home, but they still have there days when they get adventurus. During hunting season they are put in a cage not only out of respect, but for there own saftey.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I had dogs in the past, I never had deer in my yard. They were close, as I would see them crossing the road just a few hundred yards away. Well when my last dog passed away, it was didn' t take long before the deer we using the back yard as a travel/ bedding area. This has been going on for 3-4 years. Three months ago, I got a yr old Springer. Since we have had him, there has been no sign of deer on the property. They are still in the area, but knowing there is a dog near, has changed the deer' s willingness to use the property. What exactly does this mean to you? I can' t be sure, but I would think the deer would avoid those areas where the dog spends most of his/her time. Deer are used to domestic dogs and should adjust accordingly. They will (my opinion) still be around....
Old 06-25-2003, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

well for now the dog stays on the porch and don' t venture off but he is still a pup at 6 or 7 weeks old maybe i' ll try a shock collar or maybe i will just put him in a pen and just let him run free when i' m at home with him.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:19 AM

We used to breed labs. They run a lot! Keep them in a run and have them out to run and play fetch, etc. Keep an eye on them!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

A few years ago I hunted this one property and the owner had a retired deer dog, the old girl would try and run them if she could, but usually just hung out in the yard, he told me I could kennel her when I was hunting which at first was no problem, but she wised up and would have nothing to do with me until I went back into the woods, then of course she had to " HELP" me!!!

Anyhow deer bedded in a field within 50 yards of their house and at night were feeding within 50 yards of thier back door in their greens, and the dog stayed outside unchained. Trust me when I say that with 135 acres the worst the dog would do is keep them off the land right around your house and thats it.

Quick Reply: will my deer be run off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.