Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
If your a really good hunter..... >

If your a really good hunter.....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If your a really good hunter.....

Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Spike

I'd love to add a Muzzleloader to my collection but not sure I'd have the time to hunt the extra season. It would however make me think twice about my shots a little bit more. That now, would be a good thing.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm suprised at the amout of people here that havn't try it. I am mostly a bow hunter but when i shoot a gun i prefer the muzzle loader. I only need the one shot. more accurate at longer distance than a shot gun. you concentrate on shot placement when a follow up shot is going to take you some time
Old 04-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

I wacked this coyote last year with my smoke pole off hand at a good distance while trying to secure deer loins for the freezer.
Mr. Boone would have been impressed!
I also have a 10 ga. side by side muzzleloader shot gun that has been in the duck blind and turkey woods. A little more challenging than the modern tools offered today.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
Is it even legal to hunt deer with a pistol?
yes, but you need special permits if im not mistaken
Old 04-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
I'm not into that ol' Davey Crockett smoke pole BS, but a modern inline Muzzleloading Rifle is the only gun I use for big game these days. There are incredible and far more accurate that the shotgun slug guns and handguns that we have to use here in Illinois.

Myself and all 3 of my kids (ages 9, 10 & 14) all use T/C Encore Pro Hunter 209 x .50's topped with quality optics with BDC reticles. Shooting 250 gr Shockwaves, they hold super tight patterns past 200 yards.

To me, that is a single shot rifle. If someone is going muzzleloader hunting, they are using an old timer and not using smokeless powder. That is just me.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Up here in Michigan

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
Is it even legal to hunt deer with a pistol?
You must posses the weapon legally of course, but, Rifle zone anything larger than .22 is legal, and in shotgun zone, has to be .35 w/ straight walled cartridge or bigger, no more than 9 rounds, including up the pipe.

Last edited by tight360; 05-03-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SchuLace
To me, that is a single shot rifle. If someone is going muzzleloader hunting, they are using an old timer and not using smokeless powder. That is just me.
The tc encore in the pic, does not use smokeless powder, it is a standard inline that utilizes black powder, and BP substitutes. The only production Muzzleloader, that shoots smokeless powder, is the savage 10ML. Although I find sidelocks and traditional BP shooting very cool and interesting, I do not shoot a muzzleloader to make my hunts more challenging, or for nostalgic reasons. I use my smokeless 10ML because I think it is the most effective weapon available, to use (where legal) during ML season. I also prefer it to a slug gun when hunting in areas where CF rifles are restricted.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Spike

do yall have any tips about bowhunting ????
Old 07-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

first off, try bowhunting. it's fun, super challenging, and will make you a better all around hunter. but once bow season is over i shoot a cva staghorn, that i swapped out the breech plug in. it's kinda like the first generation of inlines. i refuse to put a scope on it. i'm about the novelty and personal handicap of shooting with open sights. after ml season is over i shoot whichever rifle strikes my fancy on a given day (7mag, .243, 8mmMauser, .30-30). i did purchase a slug barrel for the 12 gauge last year, i may bust that out this year. whatever you're into, just do it balls to the wall while you can.