Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

caliber ethics

Old 04-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Spike

Default caliber ethics

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site and I don't know if this has been brought up before, if so, forgive me. On another web sight concerning self defense matters, somebody was talking about working up .38 spcl. loads and stated how he used it to shoot deer with. I had to say something about that and I'm sure I'll get flamed there, but come on, doe's anybody that knows, really use a .38 to hunt whitetail with? I told him that the deer deserves better than that, and that if did drop one as stated, that he should consider himself lucky and quit while he's ahead.
Am I off base with this one?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

I would say you are off base. The 38 is very close to the 357 Magnum. With the proper load the ballistics could even be with in the range of 357 loads. The 357 is a very common load for whitetail hunting. With that being said most factory loaded 38 loads are not as potent as I would personally like to see for hunting whitetail deer. But are more than capable of taking down a deer. You have to remember that the weapon that has probably killed more whitetail deer in modern times than any other is the .22 LR. The shot placement is key obviously. The reason we have the standards in place is, no offense to anyone in particular, many hunters do not have as precise shot placement as necessary to efficiently dispatch many animals. So they have minimum calibers/loads in order to reduce the chance of merely maiming an animal.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

No you are not off base at all! In the right hands a deer can be taken with a .22 but just because it can be done don't make it right that is why many (most) states limit what cal can be used for deer hunting. You are absolutely correct "The deer deserve better".

As to the 357 being a a very common load for whitetail hunting I disagree, although it is used for hunting whitetail it is not very common, (I didn't say it isn't used!!!!) I have used a 357 Ruger a time or two myself) I also would disagree with the .22 having taken more deer than any other cal. (never heard that) My guess would be the 30/30.

No, you are not off base, If anyone thinks a .38 is adequate for hunting whitetail deer they should stay home!! Not that it won't work, it just isn't right, In-fact I don't it is legal in most states, JMOP Doc
Old 04-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by DocD
No you are not off base at all! In the right hands a deer can be taken with a .22 but just because it can be done don't make it right that is why many (most) states limit what cal can be used for deer hunting. You are absolutely correct "The deer deserve better".

As to the 357 being a a very common load for whitetail hunting I disagree, although it is used for hunting whitetail it is not very common, (I didn't say it isn't used!!!!) I have used a 357 Ruger a time or two myself) I also would disagree with the .22 having taken more deer than any other cal. (never heard that) My guess would be the 30/30.

No, you are not off base, If anyone thinks a .38 is adequate for hunting whitetail deer they should stay home!! Not that it won't work, it just isn't right, In-fact I don't it is legal in most states, JMOP Doc
10-4, Good Buddy!.........I also agree with you!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

X3!!! You are not off base! The only excuse that most people can give about using inadequate calibers is "because I can!"
What is the "challenge" in using weak calibers? About the only challenge I see is: are you going to make a clean kill, or cruelly maim a fine animal!
Old 04-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Spike

i agree, a 38 is not enough for deer. I do not think you are off base at all.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Spike

There’s an obvious difference between an off-the-shelf ethics training software package, and a fully customized ethics and compliance program. Ethics training software sets are “universal” in the sense that they cover the basics of ethical issues in a broad scope. These solutions typically do not cater to specific industries, which may be a necessity if your company must be OSHA-compliant or otherwise. Think of it as a general office training solution: nothing more, nothing less.
.................................................. ...............
Group accommodation
queensland package holidays
Old 04-18-2010, 04:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Another agreement. You were right. Stick to our guns
Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

There are alot of hunters out there who try to prove the minimalist approach, that is the smallest possible round for the purpose (just as there are those who insist that a .300 Win mag is the only possible round for deer). The .22 is known to be a popular round with deer poachers down south. It doesnt mean that it is a good round, and that crew hardly cares about the ones that get away. The 30-30 has long been used for deer, although arguments have been around a long time that it is antiquated and possibly minimal for deer (I disagree). According to one check in my reloading manuals, even the .44 magnum had something like 1/2 the power of the 30-30 at 100 yards. Certainly the .357 has far less. I certainly agree with you in your opinion. We should choose a round that is ethically powerful to do the job, not just one that makes a convenient, light and fun carry gun. Sure, you can probably kill a deer with a .38 or .22. Should you? No.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

I once saw a beaver shot with a .38 special. It took seven shots before it expired. Folks have no business using a .38 on deer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.