Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Outdoor Channel show..illegal as ****! >

Outdoor Channel show..illegal as ****!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Outdoor Channel show..illegal as ****!

Old 06-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Default Outdoor Channel show..illegal as ****!

I was shocked at an episode presented by the Texas Trophy Hunters Association show on the Outdoor Channel. The deer hunt was in southern Illinois on Samson' s Ridge outfitters.

First clue.....no orange, not one square inch on the hunter or guide!
Second clue.....high power rifle was the weapon, illegal for deer hunting in Illinois!

What gives with a few of these shows? Do they think the hunting public is stupid? [:@]
Old 06-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Outdoor Channel show..illegal as ****!

That is pretty shocking. Maybe it was on a game farm or something?

I did see a show a while back where they (can' t remember show) were hunting in Colorado and the hunter was wearing a black cowboy hat. Not legal in this state either
Old 06-22-2003, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Place is probably a pen. It seems that there are a lot of the shows that are filmed in pens or are set up by guides doing the scouting. A number of game farms will sell you a trophy buck of your wallet ability.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:30 PM

I saw the tail end of that hunt, they killed a fine 11 point buck. I tried to remember the website, it is something like.......

samsonsridge.com

I didn' t see the illegal part but nothing suprises me anymore.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:16 PM

It is a high fence ranch, so state laws dont apply. You should look it up on the net and see their prices, it will scare you. They have some HUGE deer, its too bad that they arent wild.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

dya i agree it was probally high fence and the laws dont apply......just like i dig a pong in my back yard i dont need a fishing liscense.....i once said something about that here or on bushnells secrets of the hunt forum i think and i was told thats why they rarely have orange on on TV and such.....i seen something and was shocked like you....then was informed of why its ok......
Old 06-22-2003, 10:45 PM

I don' t really consider that hunting!
Old 06-23-2003, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Its not ok in my book. First of all it gives new hunters the wrong perception. A stairway was built leading to a nice tower. The owner or guide then used shed antlers from the buck that was shot to rattle with! He said it was very rare for him to rattle in a buck. I am sure the shooter was very proud of his kill. Too bad.

Problem with a show of this nature is it doesn' t promote the hunting experience, just the kill. It also gives the appearance that finding and killing a trophy buck is all that deer hunting is about. Sad.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think what the Outdoor Channel showed was legal, or was it, I don' t know for sure. There may have been other factors...What I do know is that I would have been absolutely sure of my facts before I called someone or something illegal and put my name on a topic like this. Not enough homework done before this topic was started.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:53 PM

I guess I look at it different.

I watch these shows to see BIG Bucks. I don' t want to see these guys hunting public land and taking a 110 or 120 buck. Heck, I have enough of that running around my woods and on my wall. I want to see bruisers

If I want to feel the true hunting experience, I shut the T.V. off and go into the woods.

Quick Reply: Outdoor Channel show..illegal as ****!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.