Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

smelly gun...

Old 06-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default smelly gun...

what' s the best way to get that hops #9 solution smell off of my gun?
Old 06-19-2003, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: smelly gun...

Are you kidden me, I love that smell
Old 06-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

WD-40
Old 06-19-2003, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

well sure we ALL LOVE the smell but do deer? Doesn' t wd40 smell too??
Old 06-19-2003, 09:52 PM

there' s only 4 things that smell better than gunpowder in the morning and that' s bacon and eggs,coffee and hoppes #9
Old 06-19-2003, 10:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here is my take on the gun oil or protectant and it giving you away. If they smell your gun oil, they already smelt you! While we all try and eliminate our scent and more importantly its impact on the game we chase, their is no way to be 100% scent free.

I do however use a drilube formula for my action, which doesn' t smell or leave the oil film. I can' t recall the name brand but remmington makes one as well. However you can' t use this on your gun as a protectant.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:34 AM

I have found that using military gun cleaner called rifle bore cleaner - MIL-C-372B & AM 2 6850-224-6656 made by Seaboard Labs Inc. to work about the same as Hoppes with almost no smell.It should be available to you at military surplus stores in your area.When deer season rolls around I clean my gun with it and then rub the outside of the gun down with no-scent spray,then I dry patch the bore and use a mixture of cedar and spruce oil on several patches to cover any solvent smell,I also rub the outside with these oils also.After season I resume the gun oil and hopefully have to clean it from being fired Being " scent proof" is impossible to attain as we all breathe on a regular basis but,lowering your foreign scent out-put down as low as possible will help when winds are swirling or changing directions every few minutes and scents like human/sweaty leather/gun solvent/and certain food smells like garlic and onion are the most out of place in the deer woods.Like everything else lowering your scent is another tool to use to run a better chance of seeing a buck before he sees you.

woods
Old 06-21-2003, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL - Just see them before they smell you! - LOL

Only if it were that easy!

Good Luck out there,

-BJ
Old 06-21-2003, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you shooting that many deer that you have to clean your gun during the season? I clean my gun before the season opens, make sure it' s still sighted in, run a bore snake through it and it doesn' t see hoppe' s no9 till after the season. I think the smell of gun powder is less alarming than the smell of oil. Though I do have 2 different shotguns and usually alternate between them depending upon the cover I' m hunting.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:29 PM

Give it a salt water bath![]

Quick Reply: smelly gun...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.