Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feeding deer

Old 03-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Spike

Default Feeding deer

Hi forum members

what i would like to know,do you feed deer into your shooting area.and if you do could you let me know what you feed.in england its a split decision, some stalkers say that its not right,but i myself find that when i am controlling maybe 150...to 250 fallow deer in woodland then i use sugar beet and potatoes.i am a new forum member and i would be very interested on forum members veiws.
Regards
chinese water deer.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you asking about feeding or baiting?
Baiting in many states here is illegal, and by many considered to be unethical. Feeding for the enjoyment of watching the animals is also illegal in many areas, though not necessarily considered unethical.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Spike

Hi sconnyhunter
thanks for your reply regarding my question about feeding deer.the reason i asked is because i dont know the way it works in the states,in our hunting magazines we get adverts about feed addatives for the sole purpose of drawing in the deer to a suitable position, so that they can be shot.here in england we can feed them in legaly,another way we do it is we create deer lawns, this is made up of all the grasses and plants that they like and you get big groups feeding at one time.once again thanks for the contact,this is why i joined the forum.....its good to chew the fat..
Regards,
chinese water deer.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

We call the "Deer Lawns" here Food Plots....it can cost a little to get all the equipment,seed and fertilizer to plant them but it is very enjoyable to plant crops that the Deer will come in to eat on to help in nutrition and Antler growth and You can Hunt over them in most States.We plant all kinds of different crops like Corn,Clover,Alfalfa,Chicory,Brassicas,Rape seed,Turnips,Sugar Beets,Wheat and Buck Foraging Oats to name a few.We can put loose corn or grain out for the Deer or Turkey but it has to be removed 10 days before any Hunting Season or it is consider "Baiting" here in Missouri and is Illegal to do.We are allowed to put out "Mineral Licks" and Salt Blocks in our State to draw the Deer in also.We also have heated debates over "Baiting" Deer or some times for even Using Food Plots but in the USA we have different Rules and Laws for each State so its whatever is Legal in a certain State that is allowed so You have to follow the different Rules and Regulations.Even though we plant Food Plots most of Us still hunt further in the Woods if we want to see or shoot a nice Big Buck.I usually Hunt over a Food Plot if I'm Bow Hunting or if I want to shoot a Doe for the meat or if I take a younger Hunter (Youth) out to get their first Deer!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 03-16-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Dominant Buck

There are plenty of places that allow you to bait deer as well as feeding deer. I've baited in the past and plan to put up a feeder this year after a few years off.

So why bait deer? It's far from unethical, in fact it's much the oposite. What you'll find is that more deer will be feed and fattened up to survive the long winter months when food is scarce and they hunker down to survive. Second, in the states before the steers go to market, they've been grazing in the pastures on grass. When was the last time you ate grass? Not very tasteful is it? So before they are taken to market, the farmers feed them corn to fatten them up and sweeten the meat. Do that to your deer and they will be very tastey on the plate. So when you get down to it, baiting amounts to harvesting your free ranged animals while giving back to the herd. It's good all the way around.

So how do you do it? Several ways from dumping corn out on the ground to tossong it out a scheduled times. I've only dumped 50# bags every few days. It will go quick. However, you'll be surprised that one deer doesn't gorge itself and pass out. They hang for about 10 mins and move on. They like a balance diet as well. I'll be going to timed feeder this year just to stretch the corn and to better pattern the deer. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Spike

Raw is the very best diet for rotties - absolutely sure of that, and as Pete says you do not need grain and veg. Veg --- you can give if highly blended but they do not gain from it what a human gains and it can actually inhibit the nutrients in meats working as they should. Grain --- never.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Spike

Buy a tripod feeder an feed corn
Old 03-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Spike

Default feeding deer

Hiya guys
Well thank you for answering my thread regarding me feeding the deer into area's ,where i can select which beasts i need to cull.I did not know about the law that say's you cant bait as you put it.Thats the great thing about this forum,this limey stalker, is begining to learn alot about your various laws in the states,as most of my deer control takes place on farms estates and lots of woodland i find that for Red DEER a few trailer loads of spuds near my highseats do the job.In woodland with FallowDeerheaps of sugar beet treated with mollassisdoes the job.Also hand feeding the rides withtick beans brings the muntjac into shooting.Once again thanks for your imput,and feel free to send me some more information regarding the laws regarding your deer.
Like i say to my grandson you are never to old to learn.
Regards,
chinese water deer.