Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Natural Blind

Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Spike

Default Natural Blind

What would be the best way to build a semi-permanent ground blind made from natural materials? I was thinking of logs and branches attached to living trees, but now I cant figure out how I would attach them. This will be in a WV hardwood forest.

Also, what about attaching canvas or camo netting to the living trees and doing the blind that way? Do these seem like workable ideas? Thanks, fellas.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Very workable ideas, when I was younger I did just that, I had some white canvas type material that I cameoed, and would carry 3 or 4 poles ( old ski poles, or fiberglass rods, anything light) or if I could find 3 or 4 trees I would just wrap the canvas around the poles or trees and instant stand, If I thought it was a good location I would leave the stand up for a few days, if not I would take it with me
Later I purchased some very light camo material from a sporting goods store (I found duck blind material worked very well) and some plastic tie wires, I could set up in a couple of minutes, I found this picture to give you an idea of the materal I used, it is very light, and can be attached to almost anything from trees to small branches
Good Thinking Doc

Last edited by DocD; 03-14-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

this farm we hunt had a old fort that i assume some kids made out of fallen logs and propped them between trees and "road sign" posts... it was like a 20x20 square and about 4 feet high. on one side the corners were open to walk through... we shot 23 deer out of that fort in 3 years. 3 mature bucks. and we would have deer within 3 yards or so. if you did this, it would be some work but id do it during the spring and leave it be until the season starts

NOTE we used this for bow and gun seasons
Old 03-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have to also consider StormDogOutdoors' reply a little misleading, because the deer in that area are already long-time acclimated to that "old fort".

Yes, people have argued during the rut there are times when a strange buck may see that and it won't be familiar to him, BUT when he sees other deer paying it no attention or are not concerned with it, he'll ignore it as well.

Most often when you erect something new that the deer are going to see, they'll keep an eye on it until they feel safe... which could be never. It's most always easier to hunt from quick-erect blinds from a rifle than a bow because deer afar are more comfortable with it. Deer that see it close-up are the ones who will be on high alert.

Erecting blinds where they are not in the deer's direct eye sight or line of travel is a prudent thing to consider.

I also know deer enough that with good camo clothes, being still and keeping an eye out, one can let deer get spooky-close just with this. So with that in mind, you don't have to build Fort Apache to be hidden. Now the irony in my words is that I like to build Fort Apache. LOL!

I use real natural materials. I like to pick a spot that is ideal, like what I referred to above, then poke brush and smaller trees vertical into the ground. I will also use side-cutters(pliers) and wire. I like to use #11 gauge annealed. Most your hardware stores have #16 gauge and that will work too. I use the wire to wrap and strengthen the brush where needed. I use trees/brush that is natural to that specific area. I take a knife and sharpen the butt end so I can poke them into the ground easier. I often take a piece of straight steel stock, like 3/8" or 1/2" and use it to pre-poke holes in the ground so the brush/limbs/debris go into the ground easier.

By the time I'm done, it will look natural, but be thick. I normally don't have horizontal things in the blind as I think it looks unnatural... unless of course I start with a spot that already has a large leaning tree into another. I built a special hunting stool to sit on that I can comfortably part my cheeks if I'm on a long sit. LOL!

What's real cool about the way I do it, is that the whole blind is hidden to the untrained eye and most likely won't be hunted by another hunter. Blind material, netting, etc, are things that attract other hunters. If you're in an area where other hunters are not a concern, then by all means, use those type materials to get the job done.

Be creative and imaginative, but remember, you want it to conceal yourself without drawing attention to your position and having it look natural will bring dividends your family will enjoy at the dinner table!

iSnipe