Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 POLICE OUT OF CONTROL IN CANADA >

POLICE OUT OF CONTROL IN CANADA

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

POLICE OUT OF CONTROL IN CANADA

Old 06-17-2003, 01:44 PM

Default POLICE OUT OF CONTROL IN CANADA

POLICE OUT OF CONTROL

The following atrocity took place in the small village of Baxter, approximately 8 miles south west of Barrie. If you or a family member has ever fired a rifle for target practice this could have been you or someone you know…

This is a short completely factual account of the events that took place as released by the victim’s lawyer Mr. Ed Burlew LLB. READ IT CAREFULLY.

THIS COULD HAVE BEEN ME!!

Account as Released: On Tuesday May 27, 2003 the victim, 29 year old Jonathan Logan, who has never so much as had a speeding ticket, was lawfully hunting groundhogs on a farm field approximately 300 yards from Baxter Public School between the hours of 5:20 pm and 6:00 pm keeping in mind that students at the school had been released more then an hour and he had the permission of the land owner to be hunting within the confines of that property.

THE POLICE INVESTIGATED AND CONFIRMED THE FOLLOWING:

Jonathan Logan was indeed hunting ground hogs on a farmer’s field approximately 300 yards from the school from 5:20 pm to 6:00 pm after school with permission of the farmer where the farmer had asked him to reduce the groundhog population. He was using a registered non-restricted rifle designed for varmit hunting. He was using the said rifle in a safe manner and Mr. Logan is a holder of a valid Ontario Hunting license.

Mr. Logan was not on school property at any time and did not point the rifle at the school, any person or farm animal at any time. The rifle was transported in a safe manner at all times. Mr. Logan stopped hunting when he noticed that children were back at the school playing soccer and it was dinnertime! The police met him at his home and arrested him for charges that were later determined by the police to be groundless and are not being pursued. Note that he met the police as he pulled into his driveway and was arrested as he exited the vehicle having not entered his home. His rifle was in his vehicle, cased and unloaded and being transported safely in his vehicle when he stopped to meet the police. While under arrest for non-existent offenses, thus making the arrest unlawful, he was placed on the ground, had a .223 calibre Ruger Mini 14 pointed at his head by a police officer and was hand-cuffed in a painful method.

Then he was stood up and taken to the trunk area of the police vehicle and strip searched in full public view. His pants were left dangling just above the knees for between 10 to 20 minutes as neighbours and traffic passed by. While under this unlawful arrest the police refused to let him or any other person into him home. The police insisted he sign consent to a search of his home without a warrant. This is significant because his 3-year-old child Joshua is a heart transplant recipient and was due for his hourly feeding and medication, which was kept in the house. The police would not let Mrs. Logan, Jonathan or Jonathans father or any other person into the house to get the food or medication without the police being given consent to search. The police had been shown the stomach tube for the 3-year-old Joshua’s hourly feeding and were also told by Mrs. Logan and Jonathan Logan that all of the firearms in the home were safely stored. The police at that time had no reasonable or probable grounds to believe there was any illegal items in the home or that there was any evidence of an offence in the home. They know Jonathan Logan had broken no law. Jonathan had proof in his wallet that all his firearms were registered. Under the physical duress of having at least a dozen police officers armed with non-restricted, restricted and prohibited firearms and with many shotguns and rifles being pointed by police at all of the Logan’s was coerced by the police into signing a consent to search which he was not allowed to read.

The police then entered the house. Mr. Logan firmly believes his rights under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to be free from unreasonable search and seizure was breached and that the alleged unsafe storage of one unloaded .22 rifle and .22 calibre ammunitions is based on the unlawful police actions. He was taken to the police station and released on a simple recognizance after 6 hours.

Some of the more disgusting and inhuman things that Jonathan was subjected to such as the internal search with rubber gloves and flashlight and the cruel treatment and lewd suggestions made to him when he pleaded with the officers to at least pull up his pants so he was no longer exposed to the members of the public and his young children, had not been included in the original press release but beg to be told. Was this the actions of caring police officers trained and sworn to protect our individual rights or a group of thugs out of control? Ask yourself, “What if it had been me or my Son or Daughter?”

Due to his son’s illness and the time spent at hospital, Jonathan lost his job recently, now he must give police 24 hours notice before starting any new job. Oddly enough once notice is given the potential employers have been visited before he starts work and all perspective jobs fall through!!!

We are all sports men and women and Jonathan is one of our own and he needs our help, both financially and with moral support, to get him through this crisis in his families life. I would hope that the sporting community and all people who want justice served, will help in any way they can, no matter how little, we have strength in numbers. Jonathan is not a terrorist but only a young man involved in a legal activity that we all love. He did not deserve this treatment.

Please help Jonathan and his family find justice… A trust fund has been set up at Mr. Ed Burlews LLB, office: 16 John street, Thornhill, ON, L3T 1X8 (905) 882-2422. Or donations may be dropped of at the Wolf’s Den Sporting Supplies Ltd located at 7560 8th con Essa Township RR# 1 Utopia, L0M 1T0, and (705) 424-4867. Receipts will be issued.

Don’t forget it is not just the legal expense that Jonathan will require help with. The day to day needs of his family while his is unable to find work will also have to be though of. Please show your support and express your concerns for Jonathan and his family C/o Wolf’s Den Sporting Supplies (at the above address).

Lets wake the sleeping GIANT. Let us show everyone how we feel and how we can stand together for one of our own. Let us show that we are law-abiding citizens of this country and will not allow anyone to treat us with anything but respect, no matter whom they are. Be sure that you send a message, write your local newspapers, radio stations, MP’S, MPP’S, telling them we will not stand for this. Don’t wait for someone else to do it, stand up and be counted; let us all take a stand. We must correct this travesty of justice now or the next time it could be one of us.
Yours in Conservation and Justice,

Staff of Wolf’s Den Sporting Supplies Ltd,

Carl, Gary, Tammy and Lynn
Old 06-17-2003, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: POLICE OUT OF CONTROL IN CANADA

I' m not sure but I think asing for money is a violation of the rules!

I urge anyone who read this who feels like they should give money to verify this story before doing so!
Old 06-18-2003, 08:29 AM

Thundermug....I' m not asking for anyones money.
This was an email I got sent from my local bow shop and I found it a disturbing story. I just thought I would share it with you guys.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:21 AM

I do believe that if this happen the way it is printed,he would not need any help from anyone.he would be a rich man.the police that did this would have to pay for everything.

hope it works out for him.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:03 AM

I went to google and searched for this with no success. Tech29, I' m not saying it didn' t happen but some parts of this story are extreme in my eyes. A gun to the head, pointing of firearms, knowing that they were coercing him to sign the warrant. Maybe we should get a better source for this story other than your bowshop IMO.

Mike
Old 06-18-2003, 12:24 PM

You guys might be right....who knows.
I read this and thought it was ridiculous, true or not.
If it is true it wouldn' t shock me since the cops around here have
no knowledge of any laws that regard hunting.

Some other guy also posted this under the regional forum.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is nothing to confirm or deny the story on Wolfs Dens web page, but there is a phone number and email there if anyone wanted to follow up.

Old 06-22-2003, 09:50 AM
XTP

Don' t be to sceptical of this story.....we recently had a similar situation here in Winnipeg! A story ran in the Winnipeg Sun paper that police,acting on a tip,raided a house at gun point at 6:00 AM,left a mother and child in the back of a cruiser for a couple of hours while they searched,accidentily FIRED A ROUND into a wall when one officer stumbled and fell,and to top it off they didn' t find any weapons in the home and the male they wanted to talk to was not even there.She was going to file a lawsuit but now the story seems to have gone away......I wonder if they just settled up right away to keep it quiet...????
Old 06-24-2003, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a 2nd year law student could beat those charges.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:58 AM

ORIGINAL: XTP

the male they wanted to talk to was not even there.She was going to file a lawsuit but now the story seems to have gone away......I wonder if they just settled up right away to keep it quiet...????
Was this male a known felon?

Was he doing something against the law(selling drugs etc..)?

They may have had a good reason to be looking for this male and if so what was this woman and child doing with him in the first place.

As far as the story above if it is true I think a 3 year old could win this one(law suit), it sounds kind of odd, who knows what really happened if anything.

Quick Reply: POLICE OUT OF CONTROL IN CANADA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.