Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tree stand weight limit

Old 02-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Tree stand weight limit

I ordered a lock on tree stand and climbing sticks,and they have a weight limit of 300lbs,While I don't wiegh 300 lbs,Im 260,thats 40lbs from the limit,should I be worried about the weight limit? When manufactuers put a wieght limit on a tree stand is that its breaking point,or will it usuallly hold a little over the wieght limit?

Before I hand the stand Im going to add 2 chains along with the cables thats already on it for extra saftey...
Old 02-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

It will be rated some under the actual breaking point. If you want to feel safe hang it a couple of feet off the ground and jump on it to check it out.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

They list weight ratings for a couple of reasons I know of. One is to make sure the stand will comfortably support the weight of the hunter and the other is for legal reasons. They don't want larger hunters using their stands if it's not rated for it.

To a very high percentage, the stand will support much more than listed. However, I wouldn't test it if you are over the weight limit listed. I wouldn't hesitate to use stands at their max.

Also, I'm a big believer in safety. I always recommend for people to use a safety harness when hunting out of a stand. Safety belts are out now because just a single loop around your waist or torso can be dangerous should one actually fall. The harnesses now are better built, stronger and are designed for a fall arrest displacing the weight over a larger area.

If you're 260lbs., then with your clothes, boots, bow/gun and accessories, you'll be at least 17+lbs. more. You're good to go.

iSnipe
Old 02-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

usually the factor of safety is like 3 or 4X, so if you weight 1000lbs and started jumping up and down you might break it.

So it'll certainly handle a 300lb man abusing it. Course if you leave it out for 5 years and it's rusted....good luck!

I'd probably get a safety harness instead of adding chains to the stand...
Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys for the info, I'll be honest,i've never wore a saftey harness before,but I've always used ladder stands and never really felt the need for it..But with useing this hang on during this coming deer season,I plan to purchae a hunter saftey system before i use it..The hang on stand is brand new,still in the box..
Old 02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing to think about is, if you don't wear any sort of harness and besides thinking if you actually fell, think about the message you send to other hunters if you don't use a safety harness. Actions speak louder than words and just the sight of you using a harness may spread the message to someone else who really needs it.

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 02-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

im with snipe, your ok..i bet 330 lb man could sit in it with gear and be ok

Originally Posted by iSnipe
They list weight ratings for a couple of reasons I know of. One is to make sure the stand will comfortably support the weight of the hunter and the other is for legal reasons. They don't want larger hunters using their stands if it's not rated for it.

To a very high percentage, the stand will support much more than listed. However, I wouldn't test it if you are over the weight limit listed. I wouldn't hesitate to use stands at their max.

Also, I'm a big believer in safety. I always recommend for people to use a safety harness when hunting out of a stand. Safety belts are out now because just a single loop around your waist or torso can be dangerous should one actually fall. The harnesses now are better built, stronger and are designed for a fall arrest displacing the weight over a larger area.

If you're 260lbs., then with your clothes, boots, bow/gun and accessories, you'll be at least 17+lbs. more. You're good to go.

iSnipe
Old 02-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by brushbustin
Thanks guys for the info, I'll be honest,i've never wore a saftey harness before,but I've always used ladder stands and never really felt the need for it..But with useing this hang on during this coming deer season,I plan to purchae a hunter saftey system before i use it..The hang on stand is brand new,still in the box..

Lots of people fall asleep and fall out of ladder stands. Just fyi
Old 02-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Spike

Use a safety harness!! All it takes is a split second mistake. Do it for yourself and your family..
Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by markmon007
Lots of people fall asleep and fall out of ladder stands. Just fyi

man i woke up in my tree stand, not tryin to fall asleep, at 6 am in an awkward position...had i flinched from leanin so far i prolly woulda fell out, thank goodness my train of thought was to not move or turn my head fast as to startle the deer, and when i did move i had to stand up fast and lean way back with my head and my bow was a balance stabilizer and fell against the tree. this was before harness was a deal at all...but i did start usin a rope tied to my belt, now i dont work with out a net lol (dice clay joke)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.