Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fresh Snow Tracking

Old 02-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile Fresh Snow Tracking

We had a good snow here in Southern Indiana near a town called English and I could not wait to get into the woods and do some tracking. I was not disapointed on my long walk with my best Bud Tony. We walked a ridge line and spooked 5 that were beded down out in the open which I thought was odd. There is a pine thicket only a 1/8 of a mile from where they were laying and that is where they fled to. Later that evening I went to a grove of Oak trees and found 8 had beded down there also and were eating some acorns for supper. An added bonus was seeing 2 dozen or so Turkey in the same area,not bad for a great walk about in fresh snow. I know of little in the winter more beautiful than a fresh snow in the woods. Has anyone ever seen a black and white Turkey before? We had one feeding by itself on saturday and it was a good looking Jake . Is it common for deer to bed down in open woods and not in the thickets? They were all doe's by the way.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by doetrain
Is it common for deer to bed down in open woods and not in the thickets?
I wouldn't say "common", but it's not abnormal. Deer bed down wherever they feel safe. A buddy once spotted a big buck bedded down in an open field whilst being surrounded by higher elevations and thickets.

My bud had to examine "why" the buck was there. After reflecting, we came to the conclusion that ALL the hunters were hunting the edges and higher elevated thickets. This virtually left the open field.... well, open. LOL! He did notice that the exact spot the buck was bedded was about 1ft. taller than the surrounding areas. This gave him a visual advantage when he lifted his head, but was still low enough in the tall grass to be hidden while laying down.

The buck got busted because my buddy was walking across the large open area to get to the other side and came up on the blind side along with having the wind in his favor.

iSnipe
Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 AM
Spike

This is really a great place for snow falling and a really great destination for the hunting as well.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Spike

I have seen those turkeys before, well one a mount I beleive they are called "smokeys" or somethin pretty cool