Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My first question.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Spike

Default My first question.

As I have mentioned before I love spending time at the range. So I was considering purchasing a ruger mini-14 target rifle in a 223. I know some of the old mini-14 had some accuracy issues but I believe the target model has improved that greatly. I have def decided on the cal of a 223 but was wondering what everyone thought of this rifle. Its the one with the wood laminate thunbhole stock, stainless barrel and an adjustable harmonic dampner. Is it woth the money or does anyone have any other suggestions that I may want to take a look at. Thank you all for your time and input.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jwsfitter
As I have mentioned before I love spending time at the range. So I was considering purchasing a ruger mini-14 target rifle in a 223. I know some of the old mini-14 had some accuracy issues but I believe the target model has improved that greatly. I have def decided on the cal of a 223 but was wondering what everyone thought of this rifle. Its the one with the wood laminate thunbhole stock, stainless barrel and an adjustable harmonic dampner. Is it woth the money or does anyone have any other suggestions that I may want to take a look at. Thank you all for your time and input.
I have had the older model and now own a new model.
The new model is definenlty more accurate but if you are wanting a tack driver you might want to keep looking. Dont get me wrong the carbine has a magnificent action and will drop any deer. Look at the .222 or .204 ruger just a couple off the top of my head.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Post this in the guns and firearm review forum and you will prolly find more answers. Mid page. WCL
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Spike

will do. thank you
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

I think it is a very fun gun to shoot, but if you are looking for a rifle to just sit at the bench and shoot, it probably won't suit your accuracy needs, I haven't really seen one that shoots much less than 3" groups at 100 yards. I think you would be better off with a bolt action rifle if you intend to bench shoot. But if you intend to just blast away at random targets and plates out there, this might be the rifle for you. I think an AR15 has the capability of being much more accurate if you truly desire a semi automatic rifle.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ajstrider
i think it is a very fun gun to shoot, but if you are looking for a rifle to just sit at the bench and shoot, it probably won't suit your accuracy needs, i haven't really seen one that shoots much less than 3" groups at 100 yards. I think you would be better off with a bolt action rifle if you intend to bench shoot. But if you intend to just blast away at random targets and plates out there, this might be the rifle for you. I think an ar15 has the capability of being much more accurate if you truly desire a semi automatic rifle.
bingo!!!!!