Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Antler size or body weight?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
My preference is whatever offers the most successful shot. The rest is BS campfire stuff. You gotta eat that stuff one day, old bucks taste like schit.
Are you really saying that if you or your buddy drags out a 237 pound dressed, big old, mature buck, one that will take your breath away, that's BS campfire stuff? It's one thing to be a meat hunter but you have to tip your hat to anyone who successfully shoots a buck like the one mentioned. Most hunters would be lucky to see a buck like that.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm impressed be that!! I give a lot of respect to the buck that almost kills me on the drag!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Interestingly, the largest buck I ever killed was one of the best eating I ever had! Granted, he was not old, he was huge, beautiful, and in his prime.

Antler size is the thing here, at least on the west coast. But a buck like the one I was lucky enough to take that has both body mass and antler size always makes the best photograph

Best Wishes,
Jeff
Old 01-23-2010, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Antler size and age, not weight. As someone else stated, I'll take a doe rather than settle on an immature buck for meat; but then again, to each his own.