Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Saftey first or.........?

Old 06-12-2003, 10:28 AM

Default Saftey first or.........?

OK,

Here’s a question bound to raise a few opinions. If you were sitting still on watch, would it be wise to have your safety off? When I’m in the bush, my safety makes a loud click that a dogger said he heard from fifty yards out. So last year, I started taking the safety off when I was comfortably seated and settled into position. If I stand up to shake out the legs or put the rifle down for a minute the safety always goes back on. When I’m sitting, the gun is resting on my leg, pointed in a safe direction and my hand is absolutely nowhere near the trigger. I’d hate to think that a deer would take off based on the sound of me releasing my safety!
Old 06-12-2003, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Saftey first or.........?

ALWAYS keep your saftey on until your ready to pull your trigger. get the loud click fixed. there is no reason why you shouldnt have your safty on until you are aimed and ready to pull your trigger.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leave your safety on and somehow get the click silenced or lessoned.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

I would agree with the others...get it fixed....sometimes i do a soft grunt when i click off the safety and that seems to cover it up....just a tip.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:31 AM
Matriarch Doe!

I agree with eastwood and gimp. Does the safety still make noise if you release it slowly? I know some of my safeties are a little loud, but if I release them really slowly, they won' t make a sound. If that doesn' t work, have them changed.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

i hunt in thickets...my farthest shot is 40 or 50 yds and thats rare...most are about 20...my saftey is loud but not tooooo loud...every time i click it off it seems its too late for the deer anyways...usually if their walking they seem to stop and look.....by that time theres a 165 bullet going there way...i dont want to take the chance of bumping my trigger..falling asleep..or hitting it way to early because of the gloves i usually have on...a little oil in the saftey part should quiet it down...my mossberg used to make a really loud click...i put oil in the saftey and now it doesnt..but i dont know if thats smart it may mess some things up in there....
Old 06-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of safety is it? On my slug gun (remington 870), there is an audible click if I just press the safety. If I place my index finger on the other side of the safety while I' m pressing it with my thumb you can hardly hear anything. Almost the same for my black powder gun (TC Black Diamond). If I pinch the safety between my thumb and index finger and take the safety off slow, you can hardly hear it, but if I just switch it with my thumb it clicks.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:06 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-12-2003, 01:57 PM

Well I believe it is unanimous, LEAVE THE SAFTY ON!!! I lost a cousin because he figured he could to the same as you, well he went to move a few feet, forgot about the safety and BANG off went the back of his head when he tripped over a rock. You can never be to safe every little thing makes a difference. Is it better to loose your life, or loose the deer? that is what it comes down to. No animal is worth loosing your life over. I' m with hntngirl try to move it slowly, that is what I have to do with mine, other wise it is loud as heck.
Old 06-12-2003, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

I work my safety the same way RIStrutStopper works his. Keep the safety on until you are ready to shoot.

Quick Reply: Saftey first or.........?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.