Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Whats a good date to start shed hunting? >

Whats a good date to start shed hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats a good date to start shed hunting?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Whats a good date to start shed hunting?

I know that most deer are antlerless by mid march but, I think that might be a little too late to start around here. There is some fresh green growth starting, squirrels and mice are quick to find the cast antlers when it is warmer. When do most of you guys try to start?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

1-22-2010

Old 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Ha Ha. I'm still deer hunting. I got a tag left and three bucks with headgear still on my hit list. I Plan to keep cameras out until i start getting pics of bucks with bloody knobs. Then maybe sacrificing my tag for the year. I was just wandering when everyone else plans their shed hunts.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

January 1st is when a lot of us guys in the NE start looking seriuously on public tracts. On private property, you can wait a bit longer.

I found my first Dec 28th this year, a fresh drop - on a scouting tour I took of a place I planned to shed hunt.

FH
Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont start till March
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Spike

the best month to find them is march but its never to early to start looking i believe they are dropping now due to the adverse weather conditions
Old 01-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to start searching now, but I usually find mine after the snow disappears. I have my best luck during turkey season. Mostly because my wife allows me to stay in the woods all day during turkey season and that allows me to hunt sheds more than turkey if you catch my drift.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

I go back to work around the first of March. I am an NDE tech and work nuclear outages.I usually stay hooked up from the beginning of March until The first part of June. I am tempted to try to get out around the last week of February and hit it every day.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in New England it's usually when the snow begins to disappear. That can vary from early to late March. It would be tough now with a foot of snow on the ground.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

When the snow starts to disappear anytime in March is when I'll start looking. Until then its just too tough. It all depends on what part of the country you live in though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.