Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finally got one!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Finally got one!

I was on my way out the the shop tonight with my dad and saw the tell-tale red and blue lights that meant something was up. I figured it was a speeder caught in the new speed trap, but when we didn't see a car in front of the cop, we didn't know what was up until we saw the deer layin in the ditch with its head up in front of the cop. It only took about 100 yards more of driving to convince my dad to go back and get it. It wasn't dead yet, even though the cop had already shot it TWICE with his .45, so we waited a few more minutes until it finally expired and we loaded it in the back of my dad's truck and I dressed it out at the shop and now it's hanging up, ready to butcher tomorrow. It looked to be in pretty good shape, and luckily the cop shot it in the liver, and didn't damage the shoulders at all. After hunting hard all season and not getting a deer, this is just a blessing! Anybody else pick up deer that have been hit by vehicles, yours or somebody elses? I've always wanted to, but haven't ever found one fresh enough, and luckily I haven't hit one myself yet. This one is definitely fresh and what meat I can salvage will be nice and tender, as it's a nice yearling doe.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

either the cop did not know where to shoot for a quick kill, or he needs to practice with his gun
Old 01-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

I shot a deer while hunting two weekends ago that had been hit by a car. Both back legs were broken and he couldn't walk. One hind quarter was unuseable, but the rest was fine.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah no kidding, that cop needs more training it sounds like. Hope the meat is good for you, most people I know that have picked up hit deer don't get much off it, but, you never know.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

My brothers boss hit one on the way to work the other day so when he got to work my bro called me and told me exactly where he hit it and I drove that way picked her up. GOT ABOUT 70LBS OF MEAT! =}
Old 01-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

A Friend of ours hit a VERY Big Buck this past Fall with Her Chevy Truck,her Daughter saw it crossing another road and they called the Sheriff's Dept.,the Cop shot it about 6 times with his pistol....one good heart or double lung shoot would have been better but they ended up getting the Buck and it field dressed about 180 lbs.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned

Here's two for you:

1. The cops will usually shot more than once. Remember, they are typically at less that 10 feet and injured. The deer scramble pretty bad. Most of the time they are worried about them jumping BACK into traffic.

2. My wife's GRANDMOTHER field dressed one that had been hit and brought it home. Her Dad was a taxidermist and growing up during the Depression, you don't waste anything. Broke the mold when they made that woman.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

The shot I could find was right behind the shoulder, but at a quartering away angle, so it got mostly liver. I cut the deer up the next day and got 25-30 lbs of meat off of it including the steaks, roasts, and burger meat. not too shabby for a free yearling.