Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Is it less challenging if you have tons of deer? >

Is it less challenging if you have tons of deer?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it less challenging if you have tons of deer?

Old 06-10-2003, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it less challenging if you have tons of deer?

This question came up recently while talking to a few hunting buddies (sons included). Since we hunt in New England (Maine, NH) we are not blessed with large deer herds like most other states/provinces. When we tag our deer, it' s always special. Sometimes just seeing deer during deer season is a special event. If you hunt in areas where the deer are plentiful and you see deer everyday you hunt, and you know you will definitely put venison in the freezer...,....does it take the challenge out of it?
Old 06-10-2003, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is it less challenging if you have tons of deer?

Yes, there is still challenge, but definately less than in places with fewer deer. It makes it easier to get kids into hunting (more action), but also usually means less monster bucks and more habitat destruction too.

In WV a few years ago, two buddies and I hunted my place one whole day dark to dark, then the next morning until about 10:30. We EACH saw over 50 deer, but only probably two that had 6 or more points (couldn' t see them all that well), and neither was a real nice buck. I would rather see less but have quality deer and not have browse lines where nothing is green under 6 feet. At the same time, I would rather see deer than not see them at all because they are too few.

By the way, every few years there is a bad winter there where deer starve and it helps to keep the population in balance somewhat, but they bounce right back quickly.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

While being blessed with a terrific place to hunt, I always find harvesting a deer " Special" . I figure the day it loses it' s luster is the day I sell my gear. While I can' t image going a season without having the opportunity to shoot " A" deer, I have gone seasons without harvesting a mature buck. That is where my challenge lays, matching wits and winning the occasional battle with a mature trophy sized buck.

Its all what we make it, but if the feeling, challenge and excitement where ever to leave my body I would not being doing it!!! It certainly isn' t the cheapest way to put meat on the table but for me it is the most fun way[8D].
Old 06-10-2003, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

not for me.......you still have to find the deer.....i seen over 15 deer the first day and we had 3 down by 9am....thats not luck at all to me....its the pay off of doing our homework and finding that great spot.....if you dont know how to find spots like that it doesnt matter how long you sit in the woods your chances of seeing deer arent to good if your not where deer want to be...so the challenge is still there.....and having over 1million people chasing them around with highpowered rifles makes it way harder......my one friend went all season without seeing 1 deer becuase he isnt the best hunter.....moves alot...sleeps to much....doesnt listen to knowledgable people so he didnt see a deer all year.....
Old 06-10-2003, 11:36 AM

As one who is fortunate to hunt in Alberta, it' s no problem to see the deer. It' s still a challenge to get them, depending on whether you hunt public land or private property. How well you know the specific area also contributes to the challenge (a good thing as it develops your hunting skills). Honey holes are reserved for meat hunts and taking first time hunters out.

Overall, the challenge is still there. The focus will change from year to year and location and modified by other circumstances.

Al
Old 06-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

not for me.......you still have to find the deer.....i seen over 15 deer the first day and we had 3 down by 9am....thats not luck at all to me....its the pay off of doing our homework and finding that great spot.....if you dont know how to find spots like that it doesnt matter how long you sit in the woods your chances of seeing deer arent to good if your not where deer want to be...so the challenge is still there.....and having over 1million people chasing them around with highpowered rifles makes it way harder......my one friend went all season without seeing 1 deer becuase he isnt the best hunter.....moves alot...sleeps to much....doesnt listen to knowledgable people so he didnt see a deer all year.....
Well said Mauser, I have gun hunted for years and I started bow hunting two years ago, I did bow hunt one year about 15 years ago but simply was not that into it then. Bow hunting I have seen a lot of deer, up to 15 in a single afternoon, there have also been a few days where I saw none, the thing with bow hunting I have found is taking my gun experience and amplifying it by ten, even then it took me two seasons to get my first bow kill, I learned a lot and am really looking forward to this season I found a really great spot with a lot of deer as long as nothing happens to my spot I should do well. I have had several nice deer in range that simply never presented the right angle for an ethical shot, there was one yearling I could have taken, but it was so little I couldn' t even bring myself to draw the bow.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:01 PM

We hunt in an area in Ontario where there is supposed to be lots of deer; It' s one of the highest quota regions in the province, but it covers a great area. We do not see many deer on a daily basis and the sheer thrill of seeing movement in the bush gets the heart pumping like you can' t believe. I enjoy this thrill immensely and would also love to see 15 or 30 walk by where I can choose whether to harvest or not. I' m just not sure I' d see the sport of harvesting in such situations.

No offence intended to anyone on this board!
Old 06-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you have alot of deer, IMO taking A deer is alot easier, especially with a gun. However, even with high numbers, taking a mature deer is still not easy...at least at all the places I' ve hunted. Bowhunting is a different story. You' re odds go up somewhat with high numbers, but there are no guarantees.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:19 PM

Well, I guess all that I can say without starting a war between Places like Pennsylvania and Maine is come try hunting my neck of the woods and you will see that no matter how smart you think you are and how well you scouted the area, Maine is tough hunting period!!
Yes, I think that massive deer herds make for easier hunting, but no matter where you hunt, you got to put your time in!!!
Old 06-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the challenge is what you make it regardless of how many deer you have . We have a lot of deer and its nothing to see twenty or more a day ,but we don' t shoot everything that we see. Now if you want a challenge move to Nevada where they have 13000 tags and 53000 applicants ,now thats a challenge .

Quick Reply: Is it less challenging if you have tons of deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.