Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Are depredation permits hypocritical??? >

Are depredation permits hypocritical???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are depredation permits hypocritical???

Old 01-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
I don't know how many hunters who are trying to get access to posted private land would want to hunt it if they were limited to shooting does, and multiple does at that. So, while it would make some sense for landowners to allow hunters access if they have problems with depredation, I don't know how successful it would be in actually reducing numbers compared to the landowner going out in the offseason and killing 10 or 12 deer.

As others have said, I see no hypocracy here. When animals cross the line from game animal to pest, then the ordinary rules get suspended.
Well as far as being pests, I can only say what happens at this place I am speaking of. The deer numbers are not horrific by any means to be considered pests by anyone other then the landowner that owns a tree nursery on 80 acres. His permits are not just antlerless, but antlered, as his biggest gripe has been rub damage. Now should a landowner that has only 80 acres with 30 or so being nursury be given depredation permits to basically kill off deer that are in numbers so low that no one but him consideres them pests?? Should the state be responsible for managing deer herds so as not to hurt his trees???? NO. While his 80 acres are precious to him, it is not all that in the big picture. If the issue is the property owners trees, it is the property owners resposnibility to protect them with fencing and such prior to herd eradication that neighbors may in fact depend on.

But back to my original question. Can anyone give a rationale why the issuing state would say gun X is illegal during deer season, but the that same gun is just fine to use in eradication. If a .270 was deemed unsafe during gun season what makes it magically safer to use during eradication season? The logic makes no sense to me.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
The logic is to protect the rights of the property owner. I don't want any goverment telling us who or if we have to allow on the property.
I agree with your statement above but I have to side with the other end of the argument on this.

I don't think anyone is saying the government should have the right to tell you who you can and cannot let on your property but if public owned animals are being a nuisance then you should have to give some public hunters a chance to take that wildlife during normal hunting seasons. At that point you would qualify for a depredation hunt if so needed.

There are lots of meat/youth hunters that could benefit from that rather than just burying them in a hole as fast as you can kill them. That shouldn't mean you cannot screen those coming on your property, tell some "no", or even ****** them while they are there but wildlife is a public resource and if you own land then that's something you should have to accept along with the price of ownership.

If you don't want anyone on your property fine, but you'll have to spend the money in fencing or deterants to keep wildlife off. If you want a depredation hunt then you must allow a legitmate hunt to happen there first IMO.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

To answer the original question I don't think a depredation hunt is hypocritical as long as a legitimate hunt has taken place first.

I think the laws are laxed a bit on a depredation hunt to meet the objective of getting rid of so many animals with minimal hunters in the field. The reason for the stiffer laws during a normal hunting season is to lower the odds of success to give more hunters an opportunity to be in the field without wiping out a large portion of the population with some tradition and "fair chase" sprinkled on top.

Yes hunts create revenue but I still believe in my heart of hearts that the majority of that revenue goes right back into the wildlife management with conservation of a precious resource being the main objective.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin
I agree with your statement above but I have to side with the other end of the argument on this.

I don't think anyone is saying the government should have the right to tell you who you can and cannot let on your property but if public owned animals are being a nuisance then you should have to give some public hunters a chance to take that wildlife during normal hunting seasons. At that point you would qualify for a depredation hunt if so needed.

There are lots of meat/youth hunters that could benefit from that rather than just burying them in a hole as fast as you can kill them. That shouldn't mean you cannot screen those coming on your property, tell some "no", or even ****** them while they are there but wildlife is a public resource and if you own land then that's something you should have to accept along with the price of ownership.

If you don't want anyone on your property fine, but you'll have to spend the money in fencing or deterants to keep wildlife off. If you want a depredation hunt then you must allow a legitmate hunt to happen there first IMO.
Read my 2nd post.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Read my 2nd post.
Steve my whole post wasn't directed at you, rather I was using one of your statements as a launch point for my point of view on the subject.

Sounds like we obviously agree on that part of the equation.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Teedub,

If someone with a 30 or 80 acre nursery is suffering significant damage from deer then it is most likely that other folks in the area are suffering damage too. I've got a neighbor who operates a vineyard who has all sorts of problems with deer, but so do the folks trying to grow corn in that whole area. You might also check into what it costs to deerproof fence 30 to 80 acres.

As a general rule of thumb, private property rights trump regulation of public resource game animals when things reach depredation levels. The only exception is usually if one is dealing with endangered species.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Here's one difference:

According to IDNR Indiana fields about 225,000 hunters during the deer season, roughly 25-30% of them actually take a deer. IDNR gets a huge share of it's operating revenue from hunting licences and the Pittman-Robertson tax on hunting gear.

Crop damage permits are issued free of charge by the local district biologist to landowners who can show at least $500 in crop damage , 96% of which get filled. No revenue is generated, but the herd is further reduced at a time where it will be most effective since any doe killed probably has at least two fawns which will also die.

Both are culling attempts, and part of the state's overall game management plan. The one thing I would change would be to make the crop damage permits "antlerless only".
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin

It's not as simple as you make it out to be. There is a liability issue if I let random hunters onto my property and they get hurt.

Also, who knows what kind of damage those hunters will do to my property when they are out hunting. ******ing the hunters is not a viable option for either side. Hunters won't want extra people tagging along, and technically it is illegal for them to do so without a deer license in some states. Also, if the farmer is going to be out there with the hunter, why wouldn't the farmer just shoot the deer himself? Which brings us right back to depredation permits.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kevin,

Good point, but it can easily be argued that while culling does not generate revenue in the same way that selling permits does, it is certainly helping to prevent lost income on the part of farmers. If someone is losing thousands of dollars in crop damage, then the state (and local economy) is probably losing an amount of tax dollars in excess of what several hunters would pay in licenses and permits.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by deerchump
It's not as simple as you make it out to be. There is a liability issue if I let random hunters onto my property and they get hurt.
For the 10000X, I have yet to find a state that does not have laws on the books that prohibits hunters that are given permission to hunt to sue a landowner (unless the landowner is charging the hunter money to hunt ie lease). That was worded poorly. But any how, look up Recreational Use Statutes and you will find the liability protection you need. Hunters are given no guareente that the property is safe and assume all responsibility for injuries that happen that are not willfully caused by the property owner. Property owner assumes no liability.

I have always said that the "liability excuse" is just an excuse property owners use to deny hunting access without sounding like a jerk. That or they are ignorant of their rights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.