Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Propane Heater

Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Propane Heater

I need some opinions. Which of the Buddy heaters has anyone used? I plan to use one in a enclosed tree stand 20' plus. Possibly on a platform big enough to use a blind for two people. The Little Buddy will fit in a five gallon bucket, which would be good for keeping your feet warm. Which would be the best choice? Little Buddy or the single Buddy heater.
Thank You.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Sorry I can't help with the question, as it's something I'm interested in too, but for different reasons.

However, since you did say "...which would be good for keeping your feet warm.", I wanted to suggest Boot Blankets. I have some and only have worn them a few times, but they do work.

They are light weight and slip over your boots. Some people just wear a few pairs of thick socks, slip their boots off, then just wear the blankets. Might be worth looking into since the heater is just for keeping your feet warm. See attached picture.

Good luck,

iSnipe
Attached Thumbnails Propane Heater-boot-blankets.jpg  
Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Mr. Heater buddy heater is a sweet little accessory to have and can save a hunt or two in the coldest weather. We have used it in early turkey season, in the Double Bull blinds, when the temps have been in the 20's. We also have them in our shooting houses for the deer season, running off of bulk propane tanks and man are they a blessing when you're hit with subzero temps like this past week or two!

With windchills at -10 this past weekend, my 10 year old son could sit comfortably in a Bears jersey! You can see his cold weather parka hanging in the background. LOL! Shortly after this photo was taken he filled his Doe tag.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Buddy Heaters are a nice series of heaters but take my advice and buy the Big Buddy.

The Little Buddy can do 3,800 BTU and is rated for 200 sq. ft.. You cannot use the adapter hose for a 20# bottle with this one because it relies on the propane bottle to act as a part of it's base to stay standing up.

The Portable Buddy does 4,000 on low and 9,000 on high and it too is only rated for 200 sq. ft. also. Both hold just one propane canister. The Portable buddy can make use of the adapter hose to use 20# bottles.

Now the Big Buddy does 4,000 on low, 9,000 on medium and 18,000 on high and holds two propane canisters. This one has a build-in fan that can run for a LONG time on D-cell batteries. It too can use the adapter hose for a big bottle.

If you are like most other guys once you get one of these you will find other handy uses for it and appreciate the extra heat the Big Buddy puts out. I know I sure do. We bring it out to when the kids sled or skate and set it in the back of the SUV aiming out with the hatch open so the kids can warm their faces and hands.

Another one you might want to look at are the radiant heaters that Mr. Heater makes that clamps on the top of a 20# bottle. 15,000 & 25,000 BTU outputs.

But whatever heater you wind up with remember to allow some ventilation to let in fresh air.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Propanr Heater

How big is your shooting house? I have been thinking about building one,except for the cost. After this weather we are having it looks like a good alternative to freezing. How about sending a picture. You can e-mail it to me if you prefer.

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
The Mr. Heater buddy heater is a sweet little accessory to have and can save a hunt or two in the coldest weather. We have used it in early turkey season, in the Double Bull blinds, when the temps have been in the 20's. We also have them in our shooting houses for the deer season, running off of bulk propane tanks and man are they a blessing when you're hit with subzero temps like this past week or two!

With windchills at -10 this past weekend, my 10 year old son could sit comfortably in a Bears jersey! You can see his cold weather parka hanging in the background. LOL! Shortly after this photo was taken he filled his Doe tag.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Got one in each deer stand and they are great. My shacks are 6x6x6 high. I have never had to run it on high. mine are the buddy heater with one bottle, however I have a 10lb bottle on each. T-shirt hunting.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Spike

I have a Mr. Buddy heater that I use in the camper, and I bought it for emergency heat in the house. Right after I bought mine, they came out with the BiG Buddy, which as one of the above stated, has a fan on it, so if you are looking for a possible heat source during emergencies, I would def. go with the big buddy that has the fan on it, I wish I did.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

We have a 5 X 5 shooting house that is 16 ft high, and we use the buddy heater in ours with no problems.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

I think you'd be fine with a Little Buddy in a small blind...as long as you have windows to stop the wind. I have a Big Buddy and don't regret having it. I used it in Maitoba in a Double Bull blind when the actual temps were -12 with 25 mph winds for a week. It saved me that's for sure. It just barely knocked off the chill which was welcome, but with those winds I didn't expect to be toasty. Had my boots off one at a time and toes in front of the heater. Geeze, it gives me duckie bumps just thinking about it again. Your idea of portability with the Little Buddy in the pale is a good one. The Big buddy is fairly heavy if you're carrying it in and out over any distance along with a gun and back pack. If you're leaving it, weight is a non-issue.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I use a buddy in my fish trap pro when I am in it on real cold and windy days. keeps it nice and warm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.