Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What would you do in this situation? >

What would you do in this situation?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do in this situation?

Old 06-09-2003, 08:55 PM

Default What would you do in this situation?

I' m always in the situation where a nice sized doe would be in perfect bow range, but then a fawn or two would come out by it, telling me that the fawns are with the doe. What would you do, shoot the doe because the fawns would be alright? Or would you not shoot because it might be danger for the fawns? Thanks
Old 06-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would you do in this situation?

If they' re in spots still, I wouldn' t shoot, but most seasons that I know of are designed so that the majority of fawns are long off the teat, so they' re more than well enough along to fend for themselves. Like I said, if the fawn' s in spots, then I wouldn' t take the shot, if the fawns are dumpy or unually small for the time of year, then I' d probably leave them too. I' ve taken I don' t know how many does with a fawn in the weaning stage, I just helped it along a little faster, they' ll suckle until mama kicks them off, which sometimes isn' t for a long time after the fawn is perfectly capable of surviving on it' s own, especially if the year is hard on them, the does will keep the fawns on longer so that they have the extra nutrients and fat.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally and this has nothing to do with my concerns about the fawns making it, I pass a doe with fawns. I am a bit soft in that regard, I guess.

Old 06-10-2003, 07:31 AM

That is a tough situation to be in, I know, I have experienced it myself. If I see a doe with small fawns I usually pass. I have seen young ones still in spots in the early bow season and pass on the momma doe.

Old 06-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

If the fawns have no spots then mama goes in the freezer, the fawns will be fine, as a matter of fact if one of the fawns is a buck they will usually stay in the area with mom gone, doe usually run buck fawns out of the area once they are weaned.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken several does that were accompanied by younger deer. In some cases I was pretty sure the young' ns were offspring. I base each decision on ..
1. The size of the young...do they appear to be foraging well on their own..
2. The size of the doe
in that order
Old 06-10-2003, 06:11 PM

Like most of the hunters said i wouldnt shoot the doe if her fawns still had spots. But if they didnt i would kill the doe and prolly bag one or both of the fawns, just depending on how many tags i have that day.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:40 PM

Only 2 rules pertaining to hunting at gun deer camp,, no spikes or 4' s,, and if a doe with with twin button bucks comes out,, she is steaks!!
Old 06-10-2003, 07:15 PM
KJr

Anything without a visible polished antler in bow range is at serious risk of getting shot by me. Some of the areas I hunt have 40+ deer/sq. mile and need the antlerless deer taken out.

Quick Reply: What would you do in this situation?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.