HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   WTH? They only took the memory card? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/313681-wth-they-only-took-memory-card.html)

uncle matt 12-29-2009 01:14 PM

WTH? They only took the memory card?

I have a game cam over here on a property we hunt. When a buddy went to check it a couple days after Christmas he saw tire tracks in the snow leading up the steep driveway. He was suprised because he didn't think my truck could get up there. From the tire tracks footprints went out in the snow eventually to the camera. (He was going to check the camera)

He figures it was indeed my tracks. He sees there are 28 pics on the camera and opens it to read the card. BUT THE CARD IS GONE! The camera was still there and in the on position. We never leave it on when we pull the card. He knows it wasn't me because I would either swap the card or download it right there.

He calls and asks me if I drove up the hill and I tell him no. So he takes a good look at the tire tracks and sees they are pretty large off-road type tires ("mudders"). The same kind of tires that were on a truck with 2 guys in it that he ran out of there in mid November. These guys were asking questions about how the hunting was there and the deer.....

My feeling is that it was these guys or one of them and they were going to check the card and return it.

But one thing I can tell you for sure is this has gotten me pretty riled up. I want to run into these guys myself personally cause not only do I have some questions but I have a few things I wish to express.

I had been suspecting that others had been coming around and knew once we had snow on the ground there would be telltale sign.

BigBuck95 12-29-2009 01:19 PM

The nice criminals. :busted: Well atleast you have the camera and can get a new card for it. Best of luck with the game cam.
BigBuck95:s7:

RonPenner 12-29-2009 01:22 PM

the last time that happened to me....I followed tire tracks and footprints...camera and security box gone...tree stand and climbing sticks gone...security cables on everything cut.
Glad to hear they left your camera but if it were me I would either pull it or put up another one in a tree watching that one!!

spaniel 12-29-2009 01:24 PM

Maybe they thought it snapped a photo of them so they were removing the evidence without actually stealing the camera?

It'll do you no good to express yourself to them. People like that don't care. I was on another site where a guy was having problems with trespassers, so he got one of the Moultrie's that you can subscribe to a service that sends the pics directly to your cell phone when they are taken. One day he got a pic and sure enough, it showed the neighbors crossing the property line. He called the sheriff and they caught them ON the property, and with photo evidence were able to nail them on a fistful of violations.

rogerstv 12-29-2009 01:26 PM

This happened to me too. I am guessing the perpetrator got busted trespassing and confiscated the card to conceal the evidence. I suspect you will not get the card back. At least the f'ker left my camera.

Does your camera have internal memory? Since it was left on and in place, it may have captured a picture of the person.

early in 12-29-2009 01:27 PM

Well, at least now you know that's not a good/safe place to hang your cam without actually getting it stolen like most people.:s6:

125py 12-29-2009 08:20 PM

at least it wasnt stolen. Could have been a good thing in a way if its full of doe and small buck pics?

I would still be mad!

uncle matt 12-29-2009 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by rogerstv (Post 3542016)
This happened to me too. I am guessing the perpetrator got busted trespassing and confiscated the card to conceal the evidence. I suspect you will not get the card back. At least the f'ker left my camera.

Does your camera have internal memory? Since it was left on and in place, it may have captured a picture of the person.

Ya know IDK if it has internal memory but I'm going to check!

uncle matt 12-29-2009 09:24 PM

I checked on Bass Pro's site (that is where the camera came from) and in the buyers comments it was said that the camera recorded 11 images w/o an SD card for one buyer.

So I guess I will have to hope that it caught an image sequence as whoever took the card walked away. I also have to figure out what cable to tie it into a computer of camera to view what is stored internally.

7.62NATO 12-30-2009 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by spaniel (Post 3542012)
Maybe they thought it snapped a photo of them so they were removing the evidence without actually stealing the camera?

Exactly my thought. Actually my first thought was that the deer are REALLY getting smart!! :)

lundwall 12-30-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by uncle matt (Post 3542460)
I checked on Bass Pro's site (that is where the camera came from) and in the buyers comments it was said that the camera recorded 11 images w/o an SD card for one buyer.

So I guess I will have to hope that it caught an image sequence as whoever took the card walked away. I also have to figure out what cable to tie it into a computer of camera to view what is stored internally.

Hey, when you get him (if the pictures are stored internally) ask him if he has my tree stands! :sad0064:

W9ARcher 12-30-2009 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by uncle matt (Post 3542460)

You may not need a cable. On my cuddeback, when I pop in a card, the images that were stored internally are automatically moved to the card. They are of lower resolution though.

Good Luck

halfbakedi420 12-30-2009 03:14 PM

yeah i think the card is a if ya wanna use it type thing...i bet $20 there are pics in the cam..take a fire cable to usb with ya and your lap top..gl..post the pics plz 8>):busted:

Hunting Kuk 12-31-2009 11:34 AM

Be thanful they left the camera I know someone who had their game cam blown away with a 12 gauge

halfbakedi420 12-31-2009 11:37 AM

matt?????? did ya check yet?????

uncle matt 12-31-2009 11:56 AM

I hooked up a cable from the cam to the computer and got nothing out of it. Didn't seem to me that the cam is capable of holding any pics if there isn't a card in it. I am testing it right now sitting here.

uncle matt 12-31-2009 12:20 PM

OK it does have a small internal (8) memory. I need to get the software disc from my buddy to pull the images out.

halfbakedi420 12-31-2009 02:04 PM

i dont think you need software...just plugging it in to the computer, and the computer will prompt you, just say download pics, or open with windows, or any photo editor even thats already on your computer.

Originally Posted by uncle matt (Post 3543804)
OK it does have a small internal (8) memory. I need to get the software disc from my buddy to pull the images out.

Bloodsaw 12-31-2009 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hunting Kuk (Post 3543758)
Be thanful they left the camera I know someone who had their game cam blown away with a 12 gauge

how do u know it was shot with a 12 GA?

OregonHunter5 12-31-2009 06:26 PM

they thought about taking the camera, got nervous or felt bad, and just took the card becasue of pics taken of them

halfbakedi420 01-02-2010 02:43 PM

we gonna get 2 c those pics matt

elkmtngear 01-02-2010 03:13 PM

[QUOTE So I guess I will have to hope that it caught an image sequence as whoever took the card walked away. I also have to figure out what cable to tie it into a computer of camera to view what is stored internally.[/QUOTE]

That would be great if you got them on the internal memory, Matt! Especially if you or someone you know recognizes them

Best of Luck,
Jeff

bowfly 01-02-2010 04:38 PM

spaniel and nato said it...we had a trespasser do the same...problem was we had another camera higher up on an opposite tree pointing down and we got him, his atv, his license number off the back...he got a nice fine

halfbakedi420 01-06-2010 12:19 PM

matt, you can use the cable that goes from your internet to the computer..fire cable..lil square on one end and usb on the other.any luck with this yet

uncle matt 01-06-2010 02:55 PM

Alright. I was told no disc came with the camera but managed to find the software download on the wildviewcam.com website. I downloaded it and there was nothing on it. They must have left from the side of the camera the same way I usually approach ir and disable it whan I pull the card and download it into my laptop. I know it works because I tested it without the card and I know it works w/o the card because it took 3 pictures that I tried to test it.

So I guess the game is still on. And I believe it would be MY move.

elkmtngear 01-06-2010 02:59 PM

Darnit!! Stupid criminals are so much more fun! :busted:

Best of Luck
Jeff

Bugflipper 01-07-2010 02:11 AM

There are always a lot of threads of stolen or destroyed cameras. Every shot one I have heard of was mounted to high for them to steal.

Do they not make them without a flash? I figure any poacher that trips a camera will soon be a thief as well to avoid evidence of their crimes. If you guys could have a camera that does not alert them of it's presence it may help catch them trespassing. As well as not getting your property stolen.

I have never had a trail cam. But my cell phone takes good pictures in the dark and has no flash. It is just left on auto and goes to night mode. The wife's digital camera can do the same thing even though it has a flash.

BTW glad to hear they just stole your card. That is a lot cheaper than the alternative. Not good folks by any stretch, but better than the average trespasser.

aharley1 01-07-2010 09:09 AM

They have them with IR flash. The naked eye doesn't see it (doesn't spook the game either).

BarnesX.308 01-07-2010 09:29 AM

So I guess the game is still on. And I believe it would be MY move.
Put the camera back where it was. Put another camera out, facing that one. Conceal the other camera very well. They won't be looking for the other camera. They'll go to where they expect the camera to be and it will be there.

Of course this is a risk. You could get evidence on them. Or you could lose both cameras.

Perhaps a booby trap. A trip wire hooked to a bag of urine and feces, perhaps?:happy0157:

halfbakedi420 01-07-2010 09:34 AM

thats sux matt, what were the 9 pics of?