Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Running dogs on public land is disruptive, IMO... >

Running dogs on public land is disruptive, IMO...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Running dogs on public land is disruptive, IMO...

Old 12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Spike

I don't know anything about deer hunting with dogs because I've never done it, but I do know that coon hunting with dogs has zero impact on deer hunting. I've learned this from experience and from this study:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/publi...coonimpact.pdf
Old 12-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by vt700guy
I don't know anything about deer hunting with dogs because I've never done it, but I do know that coon hunting with dogs has zero impact on deer hunting. I've learned this from experience and from this study:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/publi...coonimpact.pdf
I've only briefly read that over and I can see right away the study was flawed.

Look at the amount of photos taken in the study.

Look at the amount of bait stations that were in that study.

With all that human activity, the deer were already acclimated to human activity even before the study started! These weren't "wild" deer per se', but deer already introduced to human intrusion... and a lot of it.

Of course very little deer, if any, moved away from their home range. Their home range is LARGE and would take a considerable amount of intrusion for them to move. These deer were so familiar with human activity, intrusion and their comings and goings, you could have ran a high school marching band through there and deer couldn't care less.

Try using untainted deer and see the results then. From just a few months, there has been many posts here about lack of deer sightings after dogs have been run through an area. That's all I need to know over any study about what happens to deer when this happens! It's called a "Real world study".

iSnipe
Old 12-28-2009, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

I wish I was near a couple dogs today! I froze my butt off. Sitting there waiting for a deer, tracks all over the place, and nothing! O'well can't win'em all. I don't think they move much now? Maybe they bed closer to the field? Man I wish I new someone with a couple dogs I'ld get them deer moving.....
Old 12-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Three times this year my and my kids hunt have been interrupted by people doing man drives. Most of them couldn't hunt a deer if their life depended on it. The line up the dirt roads and send a half dozen people through a stretch of woods and run everything out of there and blast away anything they see, legal or not.

It's down right dangerous and disrespectful to other hunters.

Thankfully on this particular WMA there are designated areas for running dogs and I don't go near them. I wish there were designated areas for man drives as well.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Down here there are some WMAs that allow dogs and others that don't. One that does allow dogs connects to the one I hunt, but access (well, legal access) is quite a distance. Some people hunt the border waiting for deer to get pushed over the fence. To each his own. I would try it given the opportunity in a legal area.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Most of the Public WMA's I have hunted in Florida have a designated Dog Run Area.........If your dog is not running in that area, you get cited..............It is usually not near the Non-Dog area.......
Old 12-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Spike

well i truly think the days of the dog hunters are numbered.i was raised up running dogs for coons,rabbits & squirrels,Tn didn't have any deer to speak of til the late 80's,a dog cant read & will do what they are bred to do.to much $ is invested in leasing property for hunting & folks are going to put a stop to trespassing dogs & folks no matter the cost.i know i wont cross over on other folks to hunt & if i did i would deserve a ticket.you can expect no less for a dog.a lot of folks advocate SSS,i dont have the heart for it unless im threatened by the dog.dog owners & non dog owners need to be separated on public property by more than imaginary lines,each deserve their own place with out disturbing others,thats something thats not possible unless more public land is made available,im afraid they have quit making any more land & the $ need to purchase are just not there.add in the population rise over the next 50 years & its a gloomy forecast for any type of hunter .we have it better than any time in the last 100 years but most fail to understand or appreciate that fact,lets try to get along & look at it from the other side of the fence,mike300wm
Old 12-28-2009, 07:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by iSnipe
I've only briefly read that over and I can see right away the study was flawed.

Look at the amount of photos taken in the study.

Look at the amount of bait stations that were in that study.

With all that human activity, the deer were already acclimated to human activity even before the study started! These weren't "wild" deer per se', but deer already introduced to human intrusion... and a lot of it.

Of course very little deer, if any, moved away from their home range. Their home range is LARGE and would take a considerable amount of intrusion for them to move. These deer were so familiar with human activity, intrusion and their comings and goings, you could have ran a high school marching band through there and deer couldn't care less.

Try using untainted deer and see the results then. From just a few months, there has been many posts here about lack of deer sightings after dogs have been run through an area. That's all I need to know over any study about what happens to deer when this happens! It's called a "Real world study".

iSnipe
Of course the study must be "flawed" because it goes against everything you have been trained to believe. Until you show me a study that indicates that deer are actually bothered by coon hunting then I guess this is all we have to go by.

I have my own real world study that has had me kill a deer only a few feet away from the tree I had treed a coon in several hours before. This seems to go right along with what the study shows.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hunt raccoons with dogs and my friends but i am totally against hunting deer that way.it just is not sporting to me for such a great animal to be hunted that way.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to hunt a property with a creek running right through the middle of it. A couple of times a season someone's coon dogs would run up that creek and it would kill the deer hunting for nearly a week each time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.