Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best of the West

Old 12-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Spike

Default Best of the West

I was just watching this show on outdoor channel, and the guy shot a moose at 890 yards! It seemed ridiculous to me, and i was wondering if any of you guys do or would shoot at such distances. I know i can't haha
Old 12-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Yeah, roughly 3/4 of that distance for whitetails. The moose has a larger kill zone giving more margin for error. I pass up the longer shots though if I don't have my range finder or not using mildot... or if it's too windy. I only pick the shots I know I can make. Distance isn't as much an issue when it's practiced regularly. Once you know what your weapon and yourself can do on the range, then you can practice in the field, then you can take it to the next level... live game. 14x scopes and whitetails don't mix well at 890 yards.

Knowing you can't shoot at those distances is good reason to get out on the range and experience it. It will either humble you or give you a big head, but either way, game animals are not made of paper or steel, so you have to know your limitations.

iSnipe
Old 12-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by titansben15
I was just watching this show on outdoor channel, and the guy shot a moose at 890 yards! It seemed ridiculous to me, and i was wondering if any of you guys do or would shoot at such distances. I know i can't haha
I bought my dad one of their videos a few years ago, some of those shots on there were pretty awesome. My dad and I practice all the time out to 700 yards, we are both confident at that distance.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

yea I shot a deer at 653 yds this years after watching that show.... with a bow.

no big deal
Old 12-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Spike

Default yea 1300 yards wow

i hit a whitetail this year at 900 yards with a rock right in the head fell stone cold dead right there

as a 4year veteran as a pmi on a 1000 yard range im throwing up the BS flag. there is only a handful of people on earth i WOULDNT let shoot at me from 1300 yards with ANY common hunting caliber for a hundred bucks. most people cant even fathom a 308's trajectory at that range. i would guess its at LEAST a 50' drop
Old 12-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Typical Buck

One time, I just LOOKED at this doe at 900 yards and she fell over dead.
And then, one time, I shot this one doe in another county. . . although. . . I may or may not have been near the county line HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH oh boy. 890 for a moose? Call in the snipers.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing against anyone who can make a shot like that, you wont find me doing it. I find it more of a sport trying to see how close I can get to the animal I am hunting.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

That show is nothing but a infomercial for their Huckemaw (sp?) scopes. A couple of times they have disappointed that they couldn't set up for a shot longer than a couple of hundred yards.................
Old 12-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

When I saw the show today they mentioned that they watched the moose for two hours before taking the shot. All I could think was, how come they didn't attempt to get closer to make a nice clean shot.

I'll bet you my house they edit out any crippling shots. How many big game animals are out there with legs blown off that didn't make the show.

IMHO.....Leave the long range shooting to the range or prairie dog town.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see the point. The closer the better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.