Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PLease Help Tower Stands....

Old 12-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Spike

Default PLease Help Tower Stands....

im looking for some advice on a good tower stand. i would like to get 15-20 foot up in the air for rifle season. something that will last a while and is pretty sturdy. i would like to take my son along some as well. so safety is important. thanks guys for the help
Old 12-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Hi,

You may also want to include what sort of money you're willing to invest. Maybe say if you want it semi-portable or may be something more to stay in place for the long haul. Also they have commercial ones and then there's plans. You can make your own if you're savvy with the tools and asking to see other's home made stands may inspire you do to your own. Saying what size may help as well. The more you can offer in terms of what you want, helps... and I know that may be a little difficult if you don't know your available options.. just sayin'.

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 12-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

We built a couple of shooting houses this past season for the same reason... so my kids could go with us and sit comfortably.

We ended up with a couple of great shooting houses for around $1,000 each. To elevate them built them using Elevator Brackets ($80 for 4 corners) and 8' 4x4 posts. We also used 2x6's for the floor frame and 4x4 wall braces. We also used 3/4" all weather plywood for the floor and 1/2" for the roof. We also added tar and rolled roofing, along with alum. drip edge to the roof. The walls are 9/16" OC panels. For windows we used the Shadow Hunter silent window kits ($80 per 2 windows). These should last for MANY years and I look forward to the hunts we are going to have from them.

Just make sure they are roomy enough. We built our blinds 4x8 but have decided that will build any additional blinds 5x8 in the future, just for the extra leg room for extended or all day sets.

The vertical window on the side is the bow version of that same companies window offering, in case you're wondering.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's the other blind we built. This one is positoned over one of our foodplots. It's the same contruction, minus the 4x4 deck that the timber house has.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

That's pretty nice!

I'm doing the same thing....I have a high sendero up on the side of a hill that having a tower at will give me an enormous field of view. I've been hunting around looking for a 10-15' tower so I can build some simple railing up to with a platform. I've already got a really nice 'shoot house' style rig I want to keep on the ground.

There are a few local manufacturers around these parts (S/C Texas) Try googling it, see what you can come up with. All my links are saved on my computer at work, I'll post them up here when I get back there on Monday.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice looking stand you made there Il-Cornfed....You don't happen to have a building plan for the first one you posted do you?I like the looks of the siding you put on it and the windows are very nice looking!

dtgocats....if your wanting a good ladder stand that can accomadate 2-people I reccomend the 2-Man ladder stands from Big Game Tree Stands,they last a long time and they have fold-up bench seats and fold-down shooting rails too.The one I have is 15 foot tall but I'm sure you can add another set of rungs/steps and get an additional 2-4 feet higher?Another good company is the Rivers Edge Tree Stand Co.,they make some good sturdy stands also.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice stand. Quite similar to mine but much better made.

I know you can buy some stands for fairly reasonable that are made from a black composite or fiberglass material and won't rot. Some links below.

http://texasdeerstands.com/Superior%...s%20blinds.htm

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rid=2146251080

http://www.sdhoutdoors.com/hunting_blinds.asp

Last edited by warbirdlover; 12-25-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

i built one a couple years ago, for the same price..actually cheaper..i can get a fiber glass one with grey carpet and quiet slide plexiglass...real nice too...if ya shop hard you can find em for $700 + the legs
, but i will build my own deck to put it on..so basically $1150 seems like alot, til you build one..spend the same thing ya would tryin to get one up 12'-20' ..mine is about 15 feet+/-...square tubing frame ...heavy gauge for safety.

put the front 2 legs on...tie it to the truck and pull it up while 2 other guys put the legs in the back side in the slots and set it back down....and a steel frame will last...even if we ever have ta rebuild the blind.

i would recomend a deck outside the door for xtra safety..i just have a ladder..a good thing is with the steel just right..i can insert smaller square tubing into the existing and add a porch..just aint done it yet.

just remember..there is never enough time to do it right the 1st time, but there is always time to re-do it again later!!