Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

colorado sucks

Old 12-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ejpaul1
Ok, I dont completly mean that, but I have a message for all you midwesterners that think this place is mecca: you have it better than we do here. I am talking about states like oklahoma, kansas, illinois (except the politics), iowa, etc.

You guys have like three month long bow seasons, 2 or three gun seasons, you can take more than one deer and in most cases you can hunt the whole state. Did I mention that you can actually get a deer tag?

Appreciate what you got folks, we have:
  • bow season is less than 30 days
  • the state is in over 100 sections, you can only hunt one of them for gun seasons
  • you have an over all 60 percent likelehood of getting the tag you want in the area you want but not the season you want
  • there is no antlerless season in january, EVER!
  • there is no asking for permission to hunt on private land, the rich hunters ruioned this long ago here
  • there is no hunting lease here
  • elk has an over all 19 percent success rate state wide
Count your blessings midwesterners!

We do have a pretty good "deer" system.
Be thankful for having variety of game animals, how many big game animals does IL have? ONE!
How man does CO have...? let's count..
1 elk
2 deer, muley and whitetail
3 moose
4 mtn goat
5 bighorn sheep and desert bighorn
6 antelope
7 black bear
8 what else?

CO is almost like IL in the sense that its probably one of the more populated states in its region, ie CO has more people than almost any state around it....therefore way more residents means more people hunting, more private land, etc..least you guys have alot of public land, ie a guy can draw a tag, go hunt public land and have a quality hunt.

IL and public land? I'm not sure what the percentage of public land we have is but I assume its way under 10%

Money does seem to help quite a bit....

I wouldn't complain about not drawing a tag, apply for and hunt neighboring states! the entire west is just 1 state away for you, for me its about a 15hr drive just to CO and 1000miles or so...

Seems alot of westerners only hunt their home state I've noticed, which helps my draw odds so by all means keep just hunting your state. I'm a non-res for all western states so they're all about the same price, vs a res elk tag of CO vs. a non res wyoming tag etc....seems alot of westerners dont wanna pay non res fees when they can hunt the same animals at home...

You certainly can be deer hunting every year...or elk...etc....you may have to go to another state.

CO is the mule deer state right now though you have to realize, whereas just about no other western state has booming mulies, but CO does.

The grass is always greener though I suppose...
Old 12-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use to live in Colorado and never had any of the problems that you are having. It was easy to get tags for elk. In fact we always got out limited cow tag and our OTC bull tag and if we wanted to we could get unlimited left over PLO tags. Mule deer went to a drawing system but it was easy to get a PLO tag for antlerless deer that spans the entire hunting season into Janruary.

Archery season spans 5 weekends in Colorado so you have ample time to hunt elk or mulies. How much more time do you need?

Then you have the big game access program that allows hunters to access private land in Eastern Colorado for wing shooting and deer hunting and the ranching for wild life program. It was easy to hunt Eastern Colorado for prong horn antelope and phesants.

Sounds to me that you don't know the licensing system as well as you could.