Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Finally got my second tag filled! >

Finally got my second tag filled!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Finally got my second tag filled!

Old 12-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Finally got my second tag filled!

Well it took me a while to harvest a doe this year. I shot a 7 pt in Archery but could never close the deal on a doe. I shot a doe In the regular PA firearms season, but made a bad shot and unfortunately could not recover her. Well In the unit 2B, where I hunt, there is an extended season for a doe untill December 23rd. I took my 30-30 out last night to my uncles and decided to walk slowly and try to spot some deer in the snow, rather than sitting in the cold. Right before I was ready to call it a day, I caught some movement on the next ridge. Wow, the snow makes it so much easier to see deer! Anyways, there were 3 does working their way toward me and with light fading quickly, I managed to get in range right before dark and harvest one of them. Turns out the one I shot was a button buck, but I couldnt tell untill I started gutting. What an exciting hunt, that will be considered my first "spot and stalk" hunt!

Old 12-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Nice size doe!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Pretty FUN wasn't it?!!!!! Love those Marlin 336's. I shot many a deer with them over the years. Although I have several guns and have owned many more over the years, I can't think of a better 100 yard gun. I like how they are short and maneuverable... and their accuracy still amazes me.

Looks like that decision to go for a walk paid off big time. I'd have to agree those deer are so much easier to see when there's snow on the ground. I use binoculars religiously, so I'm use to seeing into the woods very well anyway, but when everything is white, it helps my naked eye and makes it a little more fun to be able to see them better.

Good shot, nice doe and pic! Congrat's and hope your future hunts are just as exciting!

iSnipe
Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice looking doe. congrats and nice job
Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, and iSnipe, that hunt was so fun! I love my 30-30, like you said, small and easy to carry, and a perfect 100 yard gun. Exactly, where Im hunting, it is very think with little openings for long distance shooting, making this gun perfect!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's great, I myself was getting worried there too. I had seen a bunch of deer all through the first week and going up into the second week. I was sitting in my blind and saw 4 more coming up the path below my blind and above a pond. Saw 4 points on one side and thought to myself, cool an 8 point. Shot it, the other 3 scattered, one of them stopped on top of the ridge to watch the other one go down. Didn't see a rack so I took the shot, come to find out it was a button buck with about 1 1/2" of antler. Filled both of my tags inside of a minute. Get up to what I thought was the 8 point and saw 4 on one side and 2 on the other, AHHHH!!!. Well either way meat for the freezer.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:03 AM
Spike

congrats on a nice doe!!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a fine kill.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking doe.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:42 AM
Spike

Congrats good eating there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.