Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter - First Rifle?

Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you have pretty open terrain (at least compared to my woodsy NYS).
You get some purty good sized animals out there, so you certainly want to go with a dedicate deer round- the .270 is certainly fine, or something in the .30 calibers- .308, 30-06, etc. They all will have some reach, and have plenty of energy for angling through heavier animals. I am a fan of Rugers, but there are many fine bolts out there today. Get out with your uncle and shoot whateve he has- you get shooting experience with different guns. Allways a good thing.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by gurnzman
for me this past fall i purchased a Stevens 200xp in the .270 caliber. It is availible in a package with the scope or without. The stevens line is the economy line of Savage and to me its a good deal. I think i ended up paying 319 for it. The rifle is lightweight and is extremely accurate. Its by far the best rifle ive had experience with.
Economy? - how does it differ from Savage? Is it just lack of brand name?
Old 12-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Spike

I agree Dave. I'm also in the upstate NY region and I shoot a Remington 710, .30-06. Cost me roughly $350 for the entire setup, hey for an 18 year old kid at the time that's a good chunk of change. I have had no problems with the gun to date and I am confident shooting to around 200 yards. Anything farther than that I'd recommend a .270 or .280. If any of you have hunted upstate NY you know why i carry a .30-06.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Daveboone
Sounds like you have pretty open terrain (at least compared to my woodsy NYS).
You get some purty good sized animals out there, so you certainly want to go with a dedicate deer round- the .270 is certainly fine, or something in the .30 calibers- .308, 30-06, etc. They all will have some reach, and have plenty of energy for angling through heavier animals. I am a fan of Rugers, but there are many fine bolts out there today. Get out with your uncle and shoot whateve he has- you get shooting experience with different guns. Allways a good thing.
Yeah, unless I fall into a load of money, I plan to just wait, shoot with him, then get my own.

I just enjoy learning about the options, and what real people think of these guns - as opposed to what the websites say about them

Thanks
Old 12-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Borrow the .270 for a season or two.

In Iowa you will be using a shotgun or muzzleloader. (there is a rifle allowed antlerless hunt in January in some high population countys) I recommend an 870 in 12ga, Express combo. You will be able to go bird hunting too. My boy knocks the heck out of deer with a cheap CVA Apollo in-line .50 muzzle loader.

If you have friends who hunt, talk with them. I just think that you will not get much use out of a rifle in Iowa.

Last edited by Robert L E; 12-22-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Robert L E
Borrow the .270 for a season or two.

In Iowa you will be using a shotgun or muzzleloader. (there is a rifle allowed antlerless hunt in January in some high population countys) I recommend an 870 in 12ga, Express combo. You will be able to go bird hunting too. My boy knocks the heck out of deer with a cheap CVA Apollo in-line .50 muzzle loader.

If you have friends who hunt, talk with them. I just think that you will not get much use out of a rifle in Iowa.
Interesting you say that - I just bought an 870 express super mag synthetic 12 ga

I plan to buy a slug barrel before next season

I kinda agree with you, just thought I'd see what others thought of their rifles
Old 12-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by eric_b
Economy? - how does it differ from Savage? Is it just lack of brand name?
Essentially yes. What they (savage) done was they took the stock of a discontinued savage rifle and used the mold to its stock to keep from having to develop a new stock thus keeping the cost down. The rifle is rather Plain and doesnt have the detail that many of the Savages do but stull shoots the same. it is availible in camo and grey synthetic stocks with a blued barrel.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

I would consider a .270 in a Remington or a Savage.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Spike

I hunt with an AK-47

shots all fit in a grapefruit at 100 yds and the rounds can probably fell an elephant