Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter - First Rifle?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Spike

Default New Hunter - First Rifle?

I'm looking to start deer hunting - my uncle has been a deer hunter for a long long time, says I can come up next season, learn his tricks, etc.

What's a good rifle to start with? I don't want the typical "beginner's" rifle, but something quality that good hunters will use. I'm just looking for some ideas so I can know what to look for when I finally do shop for one, and I want to know how much to expect to spend.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

there are alot of fine rifles out there to chose from, remington, ruger, winchester, and browning just to name a few. My advice is to go to a gun shop and see which one fits you better and the one that you like the best. Prices vary from gun to gun, just depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:02 AM
Fork Horn

As the above poster said, do alot of window shopping, get your hands on some and talk to the pros. Pick out something that feels good. If you get a solid rifle and take care of it, it will last you a lifetime and carry you from beginner to expert.

I started out on a Remington 700 in .270. I'm currently shooting an FN/Mauser .30-06 that's older than I am and dead on accurate. .270/.30-06/.25-06/.308 are all solid calibers to look at that will take down a deer no sweat. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

The most important thing is to practice and get comfortable with firing your rifle and to get out into the woods to do some scouting and figure out what the deer are doing.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

My first rifle in 1953 was a J.C. Higgins (Husqvarna Mauser) .30-06.........My second rifle in 1970 was a Remington BDL 700, .270..........My third rifle in 1996 was a Ruger M77, 6.5mmSwede...........My forth rifle in 2004 is a Remington Mod 7 CDL, 7mm-08........

And all the others have.........
Old 12-22-2009, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

It would be helpful to know what region/ type of deer and terrain you would be hunting. What does your family and friends use?
Old 12-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ask your uncle. He should be able to give the best advice because of the areas you both plan to hunt.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fit is extremely important. There are many guys out there toting rifles that are too "big" for them. Consider that you will be wearing additional clothing while hunting that will essentially increase the length of pull.

How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and have long arms for my height. I bought a Ruger M77 in '06 back in 1983 or so. It fits me OK, but to be honest, I much prefer the fit of my brother's Browning Micro Medalion. I bought a youth model Savage in 308 for my wife, and truthfully that fits me real well too. Don't believe you must buy a "full-size" rifle, if the fit is not right.

As for what action type, that's up to you. I really like lever actions, and you can buy Marlins that fire very flat-shooting rounds these days.

A used gun can be had pretty reasonably at this time of year. Be careful to inspect a used gun though. New Savage package guns (with a lower end scope) can be had off the shelf for 300ish. Or you could spend 600-800 or more. A $300 Savage will last the average hunter a lifetime, so price doesn't relate to that as much as name brand appeal, some composite or plastic parts high luster bluing and fit/finish.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Daveboone
It would be helpful to know what region/ type of deer and terrain you would be hunting. What does your family and friends use?
My uncle has about 6 rifles, and he's got a few bows, too.

He recommended a .270 to begin with, and said I could even borrow his... but it's not until next Fall, so I just wanted to start looking around, learn a little about what is and is not a good deer rifle.

He hunts for 2 weeks every year in the south east corner of Wisconsin

I would be hunting in Iowa once I knew what I was doing and was able to do it on my own
Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a single shot H&R Handi Rifle in .243 for myself and my daughter (both first timers this year). It's a youth model so a bit short for me, but a darn accurate little rifle at the shooting range! Next year I'm hoping to be able to get a rifle for myself. I've done lots of looking and comparing and, so far, I'm thinking Savage 110 in .270. For me it seems to provide a good combination of value, fit, and function.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Fit is extremely important. There are many guys out there toting rifles that are too "big" for them. Consider that you will be wearing additional clothing while hunting that will essentially increase the length of pull.

How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and have long arms for my height. I bought a Ruger M77 in '06 back in 1983 or so. It fits me OK, but to be honest, I much prefer the fit of my brother's Browning Micro Medalion. I bought a youth model Savage in 308 for my wife, and truthfully that fits me real well too. Don't believe you must buy a "full-size" rifle, if the fit is not right.

As for what action type, that's up to you. I really like lever actions, and you can buy Marlins that fire very flat-shooting rounds these days.

A used gun can be had pretty reasonably at this time of year. Be careful to inspect a used gun though. New Savage package guns (with a lower end scope) can be had off the shelf for 300ish. Or you could spend 600-800 or more. A $300 Savage will last the average hunter a lifetime, so price doesn't relate to that as much as name brand appeal, some composite or plastic parts high luster bluing and fit/finish.
I'm 6'3, so how does that affect what you advise?

I've fired some rifles before, and I've always really enjoyed the bolt action for some reason. Maybe I just feel cool, I dunno. I'd like to learn more about muzzleloaders, too. I actually had no idea they were used until a few months ago.

I've heard a lot of good things about the accuracy of the Savage product line. Which of their guns would you recommend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.