Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Leaving a deer in the woods to retrieve later... >

Leaving a deer in the woods to retrieve later...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Leaving a deer in the woods to retrieve later...

Old 12-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leaving a deer in the woods to retrieve later...

Okay, I'll be the first one to say this isn't the best idea. But I'm going to try to go hunting every chance I get for the last two weeks of the season. There will probably be a time where I'll have to cut hunting short to make an engagement or keep an appt, etc. I've wondered what would happen if, on my way out of the woods, I see a deer I want to shoot but I won't have time to field dress it or drag it back to the vehicle (I usually hike two miles into the woods). If I shoot it and field dress it (given it is cold during the day and will be so overnight), how risky is it to burry it under some leaves, etc and come back to retrieve it the next day? Obviously I don't want to retrieve a carcass that's been half-eaten by coyotes overnight, etc. But of course, I've heard story after story of people who have shot a deer at last light and have had to track/recover in the morning.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't, either I have time to hunt or not...
Old 12-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

my buddy went to ohio last month and bow killed a deer at last light. He went back the next morning and recovered it. the meat was gangrous when he field dressed it. the meat had spoiled over night. I make every effort not to leave it overnight. even on a cold night it takes hours for the body temp to drop low enough to slow decomposition.

If you are thinking about doing it i would carry a block and tackle with me so you can hog dress it and hang it out of reach of the locals. then go back the next day and take it out.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

We had a guy shoot a nice buck this season and couldn't find it that night. He ended up finding it the next day and the coyotes had gotten it really bad and the meat had already started to spoil
Old 12-20-2009, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turns out we missed this doe by about 40yds. We spent three hours looking for it in the dark. We came back about 9 hours later right at sunup the next morning. This is what we found....

Ron
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont field dress it till you are ready to drag it out
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Coyotes got to eat too...
Old 12-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, well I guess I have my answer then!! It's time to start walking out of the woods to give yourself enough time just in case...

Though it's gonna be harder to do that when I'm actually in my blind and there's "plenty of time" before I need to leave!!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 125py
dont field dress it till you are ready to drag it out
You are saying to leave the guts in it?? Doesn't this just lead to the meat spoiling faster? Always what I heard anyways.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard that if you leave pieces of clothing ,that have a good amount of human scent on it , on a deer, it will prevent, or at least deter a yote or bear from messing w/ it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.