Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
One reason why I hate hunting private land >

One reason why I hate hunting private land

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

One reason why I hate hunting private land

Old 12-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by carl1191
So here's a question for you fishinty, "Why are the people that shoot whatever they want Idiots?" Just because they choose to shoot a small buck or a fawn doesn't make them an idiot. It's their choice to shoot what they want. If you want land to manage for bigger bucks, well maybe you should buy some or go in with some buddies and lease some land. Not every hunter shares your same ideals or has to, and if you think otherwise well maybe your calling the wrong person and idiot.
This is correct. The lease I am on doesn't have any size restrictions. Some guys don't get to hunt as much as others so they will harvest smaller deer. By my standards I will let the smaller ones walk and maybe just harvest a doe or two. I look at it like they pay the same amount of dues as I do and I will not try to dictate what they can or cannot shoot.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd drop the attitude to start - people aren't idiots just because they have different veiws then yours. Unless I didn't get the memo.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Spike

I am guessing that you don't own this land.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know about you but if it was'nt state owned land. When someone told me not to harvest a buck unless it had eight points I don't. You catch my drift, last year I took a five x two. But the eight point I took was real nice but could have had another years growth to be a mounter. But I lost that spot, not lost totally, because I talked to the neighbors and they will let me hunt near it, I just need to let it cool down a year there. I have another spot where the dude's wife will not let me hunt because she feeds them, keep the wives happy boys!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can honestly say I have never heard of someone saying they "Hate Hunting Private Land".

Are you freakin crazy? You really think its better on public land? WTF??!!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HellsAngel
i agree with Snipe!

gotta get your people on before you go to them though.

talk to the land owner 1st...see what he thinks about restrictions on his land? he will either be on board or he wont...if he isnt, then i would get all the guys on this property together...have a bbq, and bring it up...im sure someone will know somethin is up when ya tell them its free food and beer.( wink ) good luck.
I AGREE! Free Beer goes a long way.

These Idiots...are they there for firearms season with just a weekend to hunt and just want to take a deer? Maybe you have to understand why they are taking immature deer first. Talk to them, it cant hurt. FREE BEER!

Getting a lease on the land would be okay, but that wouldnt stop them from trespassing since they have most likely hunted this land as long as you, it just gives you a LEGAL right to the land.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will resist the urge to go into a 6 page dissertation on why I would hate to hunt public land. Suffice to say there is no comparison for me. On private land I rarely ever see another hunter, far more game and the whole experience is so much better. I almost never hunt public land and until I absolutely have to I won't do it.

From public landing hunting -

I have had game stolen
equipt. stolen
watched axxholes rump around on ATVs chasing game
drunk hunting
animals being run down in trucks
and a whole lot of road hunting

We never have any of that.

I cannot understand why it would ever be a good idea to give FREE BEER to someone who is most likely not there legally, no doubt has guns and you don't know them.

Last edited by skb2706; 12-21-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can't manage something like that. You can try but you'll see everyone else benifit from it and you'll be doing all the hard work. My best advise is go with the flow and shoot everything that you see. Then there will be no deer left for you to worry about
Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Now. If these "idoits" are really idoits with no sense and are there illegally. Then this means you might be better suited to find a new hunting spot.

The FREE BEER comment is more of have them over and talk to them and maybe come to understanding. Preferly BEFORE the hunting season. But if they are really the idiots you say they are I'm sure its not worth the fight for the land.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been on three big game hunting trips this year (deer, antelope, and moose) for a total of 18 days of actual hunting. All private land, all friends and family filled their licenses. Total number of 'other' hunters we saw would be less than 15. You get that on public land ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.