Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is anybody hunting today?

Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck, I bet your not going to take a three and a half hour ride anywhere but back to your brother place to hunt. You must have a PILE of snow up there?
Old 12-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

Went this evening. Didn't really plan on shooting anything unless it was a quality buck - I'm about limited out, and shot a fantastic 8pt Wednesday - but I wanted to go.

Went. It was COLD. Right next to creek, which is flooded. It was cold. The nice thing about hunting next to creek - and to flooded areas - is you can easily see deer, as you see them walking upside down with the sky behind them... reflected in water. Saw that tonight, as deer saunters along opposite bank. I thought it was a doe - put scope on her - hesitated. I don't really need to shoot a doe; shouldn't. Then I saw antlers - a spike. Nice body size. I'm tempted; I **** the Marlin. But if I shoot, I've got to find a way across the flooded creek - that's a loooong walk - so I let him walk. I un****ed the rifle, he blow and bounded about 15 feet... the stood there, looked around, swished his tail for a while, then into the high brush.

I'm saving him for a friend whom I hope comes Monday. Lucky for that buck the creek was high...

**EDIT: I guess I'm not allowed to c-o-c-k my rifle in this forum????
Old 12-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Good job standing down. I'm sure that spike has the "quality" buck genes. You may see another big'en!
Old 12-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Buck Dave
Good luck, I bet your not going to take a three and a half hour ride anywhere but back to your brother place to hunt. You must have a PILE of snow up there?

Thank you.not really,we have about 4 inches on the ground here right now.about 1 in layer of light fluffy soft on top of a hard crust.no good for walking on.wishing had about 4 more inches of fluff to walk in.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

They let you hunt on sunday?
Old 12-19-2009, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Big Buck Dave
They let you hunt on sunday?
Yup,I'm about 1 hour east of Binghamton and we can on sundays for everything,deer,turkey,yotes,You name it,its about the only thing that new york state hasnt fubar yet.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile Gone Hunting

Went out half the day in a light rain no big deal but the Deer seemed to be bed down not much movement. Saw 1 Deer all the time I was out and he was a long way off. I enjoyed being out even in the rain under my huge oak tree which kept me pretty dry having large branchs to get under. The wet leaves,timber and peoples fire places senting the air was a nice distraction. Great looking Deer you got in November Dave! Good Hunting!
Old 12-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

That spot was sold! All I got this year is two doe, button, and a spike! The new spot has a bunch of meat hunters on it so were light'en up everything! The ten point I've been hunting is not anywhere near there now so I may get him next year with my new bow!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

We went this afternoon in south Bama. It was about 65 degrees, so a little warm. I saw a buck right at dark, about 150 yards away. I was on club land and they are in the business of "growing bigger bucks". The buck was broadside and I just couldn't tell how big he was. I cranked the Zeiss up and down, still couldn't tell. Heck it was dark thirty and I couldn't even see the deer with my naked eye. It's suppose to rain about 90 percent tomorrow.