Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Going hunting in the snow tomorrow >

Going hunting in the snow tomorrow

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Going hunting in the snow tomorrow

Old 12-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Spike

Default Going hunting in the snow tomorrow

I am going to go hunting in a lot of snow tomorrow and I am not sure if I should hunt in thick woods or on the tree line to look out into the field where I usally hunt when they come to feed. What do you guys think?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Spike

Cold weather=food sources!!
Good luck!!

Mark
Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Spike

Usually i find deer in nice pines or thick covers during the snow waiting it out. The day/evening before they are at the fields for sure.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

Lucky you I wish I had a chance to hunt deer in the snow just one time .I think that would be cool seeing deer moving around in the snow cover woods ,that's when a hunter should have a camera with them .
Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Around here when the snow gets deep, I don't see them or their tracks much in the wide open any more. They've switched from grazing, ie, ground eating, to browsing, ie, nibbling on branch buds, etc. So knowing this, I hunt the woods more... preferably where I've seen their sign.

iSnipe
Old 12-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

During the storm, they will be hunkered down. After the storm passes and the barometer returns to normal, they'll start moving and feeding again. The grazing fields may not produce any more, though. Once they're buried in snow, the deer might switch to alternate food sources. Like iSnipe said, browse. Depends where you live, though. In north central PA, winter is here and they'll be mostly on browse until spring green-up.