Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Good Spot?

Old 12-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Good Spot?

Sorry for the consecutive threads, but I'm starting to get frustrated (have only taken one deer this season) and I'm not sure what to do. This is only my 2nd season hunting, and I know that I've made a lot of mistakes this season already due to not scouting enough, etc.

Yesterday morning I went to the spot where I took a 9-pointer earlier this season. It was colder than it was that day, and after being there from 6-10am, I had to get moving...couldn't sit any longer. I used the opportunity to scout for an evening spot, and I chose the wrong one (a spot in the pines where 3 deer trails converge). One of the spots I did find (and probably the one I should have hunted) is described as follows:

There is a creek running north/south with pretty steep embankments most of the way along. To the east are thick pines with thickets here and there, and traveling west towards the creek is a strip of hardwoods (noticed a decent amount of acorns, etc on the ground). To the west of the creek are pines again. So basically, you've got a strip hardwoods (maybe 50 yards wide) sandwiched in between two sets of thicker pines.

Now along that creek, I found a spot where the embankment is low and there is a deer trail running across. To me, it seems like a good place to set up, especially if I have a north/northwest wind.

Thoughts??

Also, on the days were you see NOTHING, how many times do you hunt that spot before giving up on it?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

I like the idea of a place along the creek where game is funneled into cross at a certain spot. the one thing about deer trails around here is that there are lots of them and deer seem to travel different ones at different times, so...a spot where they had to go to cross sounds like a decent chance.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, I ran across a BUNCH of trails yesterday. The hard part for me is to NOT walk on the trails since the deer find the best way thru the thick parts of the woods, LOL. I feel like in scouting, I probably spook the deer away from the trails since I'm leaving my scent behind.

Yesterday was particularly frustrating since I heard a lot of gunshots around me but saw nothing. Of course, I'm not there to see what's happening. People could be shooting at flashes of brown. Of course, when you hear the single shot, then a follow-up shot shortly after, you're pretty sure they got on and are finishing it off...

Sorry for the complaining...feeling the need to vent.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Is 7.62NATO x 39 or 54? If no one has torn'em up yet I would pick a spot in the hardwoods!

Last edited by Big Buck Dave; 12-18-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

to answer the giving up on a spot...it can be difficult to pinpoint key trails during and before the season...sometimes hunting an early season spot in the late season can be disappointing in a way, if you don't see anything.

being able to move about, constantly adapt to food sources, travel routes...i don't recall me saying i would "give up" on a spot if i don't see a deer there, sometimes timing with the season will turn it into a honey hole...patience buddy, you will do fine
Old 12-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Buck Dave
Is 7.62NATO x 39 or 54? If no one has torn'em up yet I would pick a spot in the hardwoods!
The 7.62 NATO designation only applies to 7.62x51 ammunition.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks bowfly. I've been out 7 times this year and have only taken 1 deer (well, 2 if ya count the wounded fawn I had to put down, and I could have taken a doe up in the mountains but that day was for big bucks only). I'm not being picky at this point...if it's brown it's down (not in a shoot anything you see that's brown and moves, I will only take good shots!!...this is food for my family).

Last season (my first), I only hunted 4 days total and took 3 deer and two turkey. That really screwed with my expectations, LOL!!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there's tracks or trails, fresh of course, between the 2 sets of pines on the west side of the river, I'd set up so I can cover as much ground as possible in that strip of hardwoods. The intersecting trails is always a hot spot for me when it comes to does. That sounds like a place to watch over as well.

Good luck,

iSnipe