Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rock and a Hard Place

Old 12-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rock and a Hard Place

So...I snuck off from the office this afternoon and made it out to the ranch. I thought about swinging by and grabbing my gear from the house but I decided to wait on the weekend. I hit Best Buy and got a 2nd memory card for my trail cam so I could swap them out and take the full one home.

Anyhow, I realize now that I picked a poor location for my stand but its a little late to change it. It was okay and there are certainly deer coming there. Its just that I'm too exposed where I am and there's not enough cover...the deer seem to know when I'm there and while they show up on camera, they don't come when I'm there.

Part of the problem is that after I set up my stuff and started watching it, my dad, who is one of the other owners of the ranch, decided he wanted to clear more brush out. He somehow decided that I would welcome running a bulldozer all around my feeder and setting brush fires 20 yards away. He and I had a conversation that turned into an argument that transcended into one of those surreal events that are only possible while trying to reason with Earl.....

I kept my camera going and slowly, the deer started to return. I tried a different approach in talking to my dad, one that sometimes works when logic fails to impress upon him. I thought we were cool, I thought we had an understanding.

Never underestimate Earl's capacity for being inconsiderate, selfish, and pig headed.

I mentioned above that I ran out to retrieve my memory card. I ran into Roy and Javier, the ranch hands, who were....burning brush piles. /facepalm. I had a little chat with them and confirmed that they were following instructions. Where they were was a fair distance from my stand. I went down to check and sure enough, they burned 2 piles ~40yds to either side of my shooting lane. I'm sitting in front of the computer now and my eyes burn from the smell of burning diesel and cedar.

The worst part? Up until 3 days ago, the drop tine 9 was still coming as well as a decent young 8 and a new deer, a seriously big 8-10 point that I only have 2 pics of.

So, referring to the title of this thread, I'm not sure what to do. I was all fired up to hunt this weekend but now....crap, I don't know if its worth it. Deer are crazy, so who knows? They might show up, they might not. I have pics from last night with a spike eating in front of smoldering brush and tons of hogs later last night.

Eh, I guess I'll go sit but I'm not going to hold my breath. At least I'm out there, in the woods....with smoldering brush piles and gnarled cedar that's been bulldozed....

I'll post those pics of the new buck later on.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure all the guys hunting public land feel real sorry for you. Just suck it up and go hunting and no whining about the hired help or the other owner. JEEEEEEEEEEEESH!
Old 12-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Angry

Colorado Luckydog,

If that's all the kind of reply you can give, then you're better off not posting at all.

iSnipe
Old 12-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Nah, its a fair opinion. I am blessed, I have a nice patch of ground to hunt. Certainly, when you're set up anywhere, be it your own land, public land, whatever and someone messes with your hunting ground, it is a pain in the rear, though. That said, I can't change it and I have plans for next season to thwart this sort of thing.

All that said, I'm still going all weekend. I have a few spots to hike to and take my rattle horns. I don't give up easily. Besides, I'll find plenty of space in the back country out there where no one else goes.

I was in a really foul mood when I posted that this afternoon. I got it off my chest and figure life is too short to get all bent out of shape about it. Oh, Earl and I are going to have words at the office tomorrow, count on that
Old 12-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado Luckydog could have done better than that. Maybe he's having the bad day. LOL! Anyway Horacio, if we're talking this year still, I can understand about sticking with that location, but to be honest, I've shot many deer just finding a place to sit down on my hunting chair and shoot them from that... and wonder why not just do that?

It's simple, mobile and you can set up about anywhere you want.

Here's the simple scenario. You've walked/scouted a bit, see a nice area, then find a spot to place the chair. May have to cut/move some brush, then sit down and see what happens. What's nice is that if the wind is not right, you can just pick up and move somewhere else.

iSnipe
Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Colorado Luckydog,

If that's all the kind of reply you can give, then you're better off not posting at all.

iSnipe
If your lucky enough to have prime property to hunt that you own, you shouldn't come on here complaining that you can't manage your own property or communicate with the other owner. I'm lucky enough to have some good hunting properties and you won't ever hear me complaining about them. Most of the guys on here are just hunting public and are glad they get the chance. I can't stand whining.(Notice my signature).

isnipe....If you don't like my post, just use your ignore button and take me out of your life forever! Just don't whine....please!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

At least you don't have to PAY to hunt. Alot of guys do and don't have any luck. Usually you have freinds that know of or someone here or there, that is more than happy to have a hunting buddy. When you pay, they just rush you, and it's over before you know it. Keep on'em, I would move back into the cover or cutt'em off at the corner!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

I bet you any money that you will see those bucks hunting out of the tree stand.

Good Luck....

Remember Family is the only thing that is suposed to be really tight...

God bless AJ
Old 12-18-2009, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to agree that the deer will still probably show up. What I would also consider and although it is a little late buy a ground blind and set up in another area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.