Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Will I see this deer again this season? >

Will I see this deer again this season?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will I see this deer again this season?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Not only might you see him again, it might be sooner than you think. Earlier this year I was busted (in a natural blind) by a buck. He knew I didn't belong there, but didn't hang around to figure it out...turned and trotted off.

I went up a tree about 15 yards away, it was either the next day or a day or two later, I don't remember. He came through again, exact same travel pattern, but I didn't shoot (crossbow) because he was moving at a pretty good clip and I generally don't shoot at running deer.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by superstrutter
Just remember, deer hunting is all about being at the right place at the right time.
Words to live by...my grandfather used to tell me this mantra everytime I saw him, seems like hunting always came up in the conversation.

He would say "Boy, if you do your homework and know where they will be, the first part is taken care of, it is up to you to put the time in waiting for 'em."

A true scholar he was
Old 12-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wouldnt doubt if you see him again. but it all depends what type of area you were hunting. were you in a bedding area? on a good trail to a food source? in a natural funnel? if his core area is close then you will see him again. good luck
Old 12-17-2009, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hate to be negative, but I would say you have had your chance. I have been hunting many years, and never got a second chance at a good buck the same season when I made a mistake. I have heard stories about guys getting that "Big One" on a second chance, but it never worked out for me, so I wouldn't count on it.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by superstrutter
My first question is how did you miss him a 30 yards? My second question is why didn't you shoot a second time when he stopped? This is a firearm forum, so I assume you were shooting a gun, right? Odds are you won't see him again, but you never know. If they are still chasing does, you may see him again. Monster 12 points don't like to move around in daylight too often.
I was using my bow and shot under him I had to shoot at him sitting on my but and couldnt get to my knees to shoot at him and the reason I didnt shoot a second time is bc i coulsnt get another arrow knocked quick enough he only stopped for like 3 seconds again and the broadhead had gotten cought in the quiver soo when i got the arrow out he just took off soo thts y i didnt shoot a second time.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Spike

I should of posted this in archery but didnt and plus when your 14 and a deer like this comes in and you have to stay calm under pressure when your hunting by your self and everything like tht and whe n it is only your second year of bowhunting and you get an oppurtunity at a deer like that and miss you just leasrn from your mistakes and try not to make that mistake again and all though i have missed some deer and it does get me down i just get right back out there and try again soo hopefully this buck will be back if he does come back he better be prepaired to die if he gets close enough for a shot bc then he will be on my wall.