Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunt alone ?

Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Spike

Default Hunt alone ?

This question is just idle curiosity. In spite of everything we've been taught in terms of safety and common sense, how many of you hunt alone ? The reasons you hunt alone may be many and are not important. This includes small game, big game, upland, etc.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mostly hunt alone.

iSnipe
Old 12-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the time my wife or son is hunting somewhere on our place, but if im alone they no where im hunting at.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vast majority of my deer hunting is solo.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:36 AM
Spike

I hunt alone,,, mainly bow hunt from the ground. no worries about falling out of a tree.......
Old 12-15-2009, 04:14 AM
Spike

I used to hunt alone all of the time but about 4 years ago i had some major health issues arise and had to have major surgery so now i always hunt with someone whether it be my dad or my son Josh !!!
Old 12-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Always solo.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt alone most of the time,but I always make sure someone knows where I will be and when I should return and I carry my cell phone with me just in case,and I always keep it on me not in my pack if you were to have a fall your phone isn't any good if its in your pack in the tree if your on the ground! Just make it a safe one so you can hunt tommorow!
Old 12-15-2009, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Normally alone. I did hunt openiong day with an acquaintance this year. Sometimes it's nice to have a companion. didn't see a thing, though.

Nice caveat to the story is that my companion was after his first deer and was all worried about how to field dress. I told him to give me a call if he got one and I'd come out and help him. Sure enough, about sunset the next day, I get a phone call and an excited voice shouts "I got an eight an point buck!"--I could barely understand what he said, he was so pumped.

Went out and discovered a very happy dude with a big-bodied eight pointer with about a 130 class rack. Perfect symmetry and excellent mass. A very eye-appealing
set of antlers. I walked him through the field dressing, loaded him up, and that was that.

It was really cool getting to be a part of that man's experience.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

Before this season (and a few seasons off) I always hunted on a big ranch with alot of friends, family, and employees. I almost always sat in my stand alone but everyone knew where it was and we had good cell phone coverage out there. If I had a downed animal, I could call but I'd generally go in to get some food and come back out for search....camp was about 10 min away.

Now, the front gate of my ranch is 9 miles from my house. My wife always knows when I'm headed out and this season, I usually take my 8 year old daughter with me, though this time of year with school activities and parties, she's missed a few hunts. Again, its close to town so decent phone coverage.

Whether its hunting, scouting or just plain exploring, I think the only thing to be really concerned about is turning an ankle and having trouble getting back to the truck or something. Gun safety, of course but that's pretty universal. I also have a buddy bow hunting on the other side of the ranch I can call in a pinch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.