Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The art of calling..

Old 12-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Spike

Default The art of calling..

The rut is coming near for some of us. What are your suggestions/tips on ways to call in the big boys?

which work best at what times? pre rut/during rut/post rut, doe bleets/grunt calls/rattling etc..

frequency of calling, share any tips you have..
Old 12-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many hunters don't know what part of the rut they're in. Where I'm at, the full rut as past several weeks ago.

Had I an idea of where you lived(state), I could have focused my reply more towards what part of the rut I believed your area to be in; instead of a shotgun approach of addressing every part the rut.

If you don't mind, what state are you in and what makes you think or know the rut hasn't started yet?(rut is a general term because of the various phases)

iSnipe
Old 12-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Spike

Im in southern Louisiana, they usually dont rut till jan.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

A buddy of mine rattled me in an 11 pointer a few years ago and I dropped him. He came running like there was a fire when he heard those horns popping. I seem to recall it being mid Dec or so but I've slept since then.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Bucks have already done most of their ritual habits, like making scrapes and rubs and are now starting to abandoned those areas and seek does. They are also territorial, so I'd try a regular buck grunt. You may catch a buck ready to fight and your grunt call just may be enough to coax him in. It may also work in the last stages of the pre-rut to try rattling hard. Imitate a good buck fight. This too has proven itself to bring in trophy class animals at the right time!

One simple call that has worked for many, is the Can call.

Just tip it over and tip it back! If a buck is looking for a doe, the Can imitates that better than I can. LOL!

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 12-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

It varies in my opinion with the hunter, however, I am a huge fan of rattling and the grunt call. I have also found success this year with a doe bleat, something that I have never tried in the past. It is a trial and error thing also i believe. One call will not bring in an animal everytime as you well know. Just have to mix it up and I am 100% sure that if you stick with it, you will lure an animal into your shooting range.