Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who can tell Me?

Old 12-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Spike

Default Who can tell Me?

Can anyone tell me that when you are shooting a bow that it isnt set right if it hits your arm? Should this happen? I have heard that if its set up right it will not hit.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Spike

There is a very good chance that the bow maybe set right but your shooting style maybe to blame. If your wrist is breaking to the center of the bow the bow string will slap you , you can buy a arm guard to take the sting out of the string slap . But I would suggest that you train your self to hold the bow with your wrist locked to the out side of the string. A pro at a bow shop can give you lessons or sell you a good arm guard.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:21 AM
Spike

Default string slap

Your draw length is set to long.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Sometimes anatomy has something to do with it, but not often. I see women having to wear arm guards more than men by the way their arm sits when they hold the bow at full draw.

Also, if you're hunting and wearing several or thick clothes, it's not unusual for the string to hit your forearm, hence the tip about the arm guard is a good one.

(right-handed) If at full draw your wrist is sitting straight up and down, you have your hand too much into the grip. If this is the case, you'll have to rotate your hand to the right or counter-clockwise about 35°-40°. Hard to say in degrees.

I have attached a pic illustration to view.

iSnipe
Attached Thumbnails Who can tell Me?-bow-grip.jpg  
Old 12-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

As the others have mentioned, there could be several factors to blame. Indeed it could be a drwlength that is to long but it just as easily could be that your torquing the grip inward with your rest of forgetting to unlock your elbow while at full draw. The best place to answer these questions would be to head to your nearest Pro Shop so they ca actually see you shoot and make sure you're set-up correctly. Good luck and good shootin'
Old 12-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its all in how you hold the bow.

Try this experiment. Hold you bow arm out as if you are holding an imaginary bow. Chances are you knuckles are vertical (up and down)

Now turn your knuckles so they are horizontal (across).

Notice what happens to your elbow. It turns out.

Try adjusting your grip on the bow so your knuckles are almost horizontal. The only part of your hand that should touch the grip on your bow is the heel of your thumb. Your palm should not make contact with the bows grip.

Shoot with a open /loose grip also!
Old 12-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

Make sure that your arm is not totally "locked" straight. This is what will make the bow I shoot hit my arm. Other than that, pretty much what everybody else said.
BigBuck95
Old 12-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Dominant Buck

People often roll their front shoulder which changes the posture and allows the string slap. The best way to over come that is to concentrate on bringing your 2 shoulder blades together on the back. This keeps your shoulder in a normal position and will make your shots go better. People often roll the shoulder when they are trying to draw a heavy pull bow or when they aren't strong enough for the set up.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:50 PM
bigcountry

Generally, its too high poundage bow for the shooter. And to compensate, they like a real long draw. Second, poor form which is part of fitting the bow to you.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newbies will pay

for using those new high velocity bows, without any training as to how to keep the arm out of the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.