Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Just when I thought.............. >

Just when I thought..............

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just when I thought..............

Old 12-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doe or buck, cornfed, the ethical hunter must ask permission to enter your land to attempt retrieval.
You obviously don't have to grant that permission, but it makes you just as bad as any other unethical hunter for not allowing even a supervised attempt.

No, hunting too close to you property line to prevent a crossover, is not an excuse to say no, it just makes you look the %^& in that situation.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Good points. I guess it's just up to the hunter to know his limitations and to have his tool of choice sited in. I know I've never lost a deer using a high power rifle. It's almost as bad as me finding two bucks with there heads cut off rotting on the edge of a field, only this doe was alive and rotting, her stomach was empty and her leg smelt like death! I guess some people just think they make good fertalizer?

Last edited by Big Buck Dave; 12-13-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, your buddy did the right thing. That doe deserved to be persued to completion. I have recovered deer in similar situations myself.

Found a doe last year in Dec. that had a bad hit to her upper ham and another across her back, neither initially lethal. However, she was very much dead when I found her. That was the first time I had hunted that particular area that year.

This year another hunter in my party reported a person for wanton waste, after he failed to attempt to retrieve two deer he shot at. We were able to follow both deer by there obvious blood trails even without snow for assistance. The coyotes got the first one before we did, the second one we didn't find, though not for lack of trying.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think there are farmers with those deer tags which i forget what they're called exactly but where they can shoot a bunch because of crop damage...those guys I think often times just blast whatever moves and if it drops maybe they'll pick it up, if not, they don't care.

Not all, but some, those guys hate deer and the damage they do.

there are some lazy bums, bad shots, etc...hunters out there as well.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I once hit a deer where both its front legs were paralyzed. The thing was able to scoot on the ground while laying on its side and kicking with its back legs almost as fast as i could run. I would think that a deer on three legs would have no trouble at all covering a lot of ground before bloodloss or whatever else would have it virtually unable to move. In fact some three legged deer occasionally go on to survive and folks run into them again the next season.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

The doe may have been hit by a vehicle? The way it was torn up? Anyways, I had a bad evening. My buddy did'nt set up where he was supposed to. Neither of us saw one. He does'nt want me to get this buck, but he can't get it either. I think the darn thing crosses the driveway every evening! O' well, I guess we'll try again tomorrow..