Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pie Bald?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pie Bald?

is this a deformity like an albino...or are they a mix? do they show up everywhere? legal to bag?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

I am pretty sure it is a mix... And im also pretty sure that they are legal to shoot in any area of regular whitetail hunting zones
Old 12-11-2009, 10:19 AM
bigcountry

Some places illegal. Just a genetic defect that happens. Uusally weaker, and smaller. It doesn't take 2 albinos to make one or anything.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

What do y'all mean by "a mix"? A mix of what? A normal whitetail and an albino whitetail? I don't think that's what it takes. Seems to me it would be more like vitiligo or whatever that pigmentation problem was that Michael Jackson said he had...

I've never seen any regulations here in Texas that prohibits shooting a piebald. There's a doe I've seen a couple times this year that has some white spots on both sides of her neck. I might take a shot at her this weekend, and have her hide tanned.

From buckmanager.com:

Piebald Deer – What are They?

BuckManager.com | Deer Coloration
A piebald is an animal, usually a horse, that has a spotting pattern of large white and black patches. The colour of the horse’s skin underneath its coat may vary between black (under the black patches of hair) and pink (under the white patches). The colouring is generally asymmetrical. Many animals also exhibit coloration of the irises of the eye that match the surrounding skin. This condition also occurs in white-tailed deer.

A genetic variation (defect) produces the piebald condition in white-tailed deer, not parasites or diseases. Piebald deer are colored white and brown similar to a pinto pony. Sometimes they appear almost entirely white. In addition to this coloration, many have some of the following observable conditions: bowing of the nose (Roman nose), short legs, arching spine (scoliosis), and short lower jaws. This genetic condition is rare with typically less than one percent of white-tailed deer being affected.

Last edited by ipscshooter; 12-11-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes they appear almost entirely white...is an albino a pie bald then?

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
What do y'all mean by "a mix"? A mix of what? A normal whitetail and an albino whitetail? I don't think that's what it takes. Seems to me it would be more like vitiligo or whatever that pigmentation problem was that Michael Jackson said he had...

I've never seen any regulations here in Texas that prohibits shooting a piebald. There's a doe I've seen a couple times this year that has some white spots on both sides of her neck. I might take a shot at her this weekend, and have her hide tanned.

From buckmanager.com:
Old 12-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
I think when it is all white it is an Albino, if it is not then it is a Piebald
Old 12-11-2009, 12:27 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
Different levels for albinos in nature and humans. Severe cases in humans means totally blind in daylight. Extremely sun sensitive.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here it is completely different in being that we are seeing more and more piebalds showing up and our deer numbers are very low right now. The numbers are low because of our hard winters the past couple of years and predators having a grand time with them.. So if it is because of high numbers of deer why is here so much different? I am thinking here it is because of the low numbers more deer are being bred to the same familys of deer.. But I am no proffessor of this that is for sure..