Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Operation jackhammer

Old 12-11-2009, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default Operation jackhammer

“Operation Jackhammer” cracks down on deer poaching
ALBANY – Over 100 people were charged with over 250 offenses as the state DEC conducted “Operation Jackhammer,” targeting people who take deer by using artificial light.
“Deer jacking” involves hunting where poachers shine a spotlight on a deer feeding in fields to “freeze” the animal long enough to shoot it, killing deer when they are most vulnerable.
Over 100 EnCon officers from the Hudson Valley, Catskills, Capital Region and Adirondacks spend six weeks targeting rural areas with stakeouts at all hours of the night. During the operation, DEC officers charged 107 people with 187 misdemeanors and 87 violations. That included 27 instances of deer jacking to kill deer and 48 instances of hunters using lights but not yet killing a deer when caught.
Other related charges were filed, including carrying a loaded gun in a vehicle, hunting after hours and firing a gun within 500 feet of a house.
Approximately 40 guns were confiscated and 42 illegally taken deer recovered.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

They have the info... and I'd like to know the costs to run such a large focused taskforce like that. Be interesting to know cost-per-offender with 107 violators prosecuted from the work of over 100 officers in a span of 6 weeks.

iSnipe
Old 12-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

Glad they caught them. Bright lights really mess a deer up and make it stupid easy to get a shot on them and it really is, to me, cheating.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't see any correlation between the cost vs. the prize. It is what it is and needs to be done.

In LE ther aren't alot of cost/arrest calculations.

Probobly fair enough that the criminals bear the cost of the enforcement.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Spike

Good they should do this more often!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.empirehunting.com/forum/attach.aspx?a=1406

bout time
Old 12-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got this list of tickets issued in region 9 on another forum, Its amazing to read some of the stupid stuff people do.

http://www.empirehunting.com/forum/attach.aspx?a=1415
Old 12-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

glad they did this..who cares the cost!!!!! i want my kids 's grandkids to hunt..no price is too stiff...

i shine deer all the time, just to see how many there are walkin round at 9 or 10 at night....we certainly dont shoot though.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=DeerandbearhoG;3527161]i got this list of tickets issued in region 9 on another forum, Its amazing to read some of the stupid stuff people do.

http://www.empirehunting.com/forum/attach.aspx?a=1415[/q

About time they got the Jennings brothers up in Attica, NY. That tribe has been jacking for years.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

A friend of mine talked to a game warden about putting a decoy out near here. The warden said they had ordered two new decoys that the ones they had were too shot up to be useful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.