Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
7mm weatherby magnum..awesome deal..but... >

7mm weatherby magnum..awesome deal..but...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7mm weatherby magnum..awesome deal..but...

Old 12-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Spike

Default 7mm weatherby magnum..awesome deal..but...

i have an opportunity to get one of these dirt cheap.

its a mark V in 7mm...26'' barrel..laminated stock..engraved trigger guard...it has had a trigger job and has a custom muzzle break.

i think its a 2003 or 2004 model..in very good condition..a few knicks here and there but nothing bad at all..

it has a leuplod 6.5-20x40 scope on it.with an extended shade with it.

He is in dire money trouble and wants $500 for the package..I know enuff about guns to know this is a steal. im going to give him the cash saterday for it.

HOWEVER..i have never shot or been around any weatherby caliburs..Im told the bullets are very high in price ( and i dont reload)

and the 7mm is too much gun for whitetails in all reality.

Any one own or shoot a 7mm weath and can tell me about them a little when it comes too flat shooting..meat damage..etc...

thanks for any info. PS..i own a 270...what is the 7mm like compared to it in terms of distance..recoil..etc..whitetail hunting..etc

Last edited by wolfman73; 12-10-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

buy it and flip it on gun broker. should get 400$ for the scope alone.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a 7mm Rem. Mag. The meat damage on the deer I have shot with it has been minimal.

It shoots very very flat.

IMO, the 7mm is no more too much gun than the 30-06. Remember that the bullet itself is only .284 in size, so not really any bigger than your .270.

I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Besides, there is no such thing as cheap ammo anymore.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats a sweet deal...I doubt Id be able to pass it up since I have had the itch to buy a mag or 2 lately...
Old 12-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Spike

whats do u mean Mark V is easy to whoop???
Old 12-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

$500 is a great deal on that package. Get the gun, strip off the scope to use on a varmint rifle or similar that you could buy after you sell the rifle to some other schmuck. Weatherbys are like Colts. There is always someone that will pay more than the gun is actually worth because of the name engraved on the barrel.

I am in complete agreement with Open Range about he lugs. Any more than three lugs is completely worthless and more more of a hindrance to accuracy than a two or three lug bolt. It is next to impossible to actually get all of the little Weatherby lugs to make contact with their seats and I have never seen a Weatherby bolt make good contact with more than three or four lugs out of the box.

In fact, for an example. At the store we have a Sauer 202 that was recently traded in. I happend to be inspecting this rifle today. The Sauer 202 has 6 locking lugs similar to a non magnum Weatherby. Only two of them are making good contact with their lug seats.

Last edited by bigbulls; 12-10-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

7mm Wby Mag is very similar to the 7mm Rem Mag. Maybe 100fps more velocity. Lots of guys hunt deer with 7mm Mags and performance is just like a 30-06 inside 200 yards. Past that, the 7mm is flatter shooting. The kick isn't too bad. Maybe 15% more than the 270. I think you said it had a muzzle break. Then the recoil will be the same or maybe less than a 270.

I hunt deer with a 300 Weatherby. 9 seasons so far and no complaints.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't EVER shoot without ear plugs with that muzzle break. If you do, you won't again. That being said awesome deal on the gun and scope. Will be fine for whitetail hunting. Good luck with it!