Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what caliber

Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Truth be told

there have been over ten cartridges that have been harvesting whitetail deer for over thirty, forty and fifty years.

Where do you hunt and how many guns can you afford?

If you hunt in forests within 100 yards, you certainly don't need a magnum or a caliber that reaches out to 400 yards. You can use one; you don't actually need all that power.

What size is your body and how much recoil can you take?

Not every hunter wants the recoil of a magnum or even a 30-06.
I knew an army vet, trained on 7.62 mm or 30-06 cartridges (the civilian cartridge) , harvested whitetail deer with a 257 Roberts. Some of the young big boys would hide if they used that caliber.

A lighter recoiling rifle, like a 7mm/08, can do the job. 35 Remington's and 30/30 did just fine for hunters in heavy woods within 100 yards, and weren't known for great recoil.

A famous elephant hunter, by the name of Bell, early in the last century, was more concerned about expenditures, so he used light recoiling rifles. He used a 7 x 57mm Mauser cartridge to take over 1000 elephant. As Bell proved, it's not the cartridge always, but where you shoot the bullet. Bell knew anatomy, and brain shots downed elephant.

So use what makes you happy. You have choices, like magnums, and light recoiling rifles and even lever action rifles.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Open Range
But what is so good about 7mm? Does the 7-08 kick as hard as the 30-'06?
No, it doesn't kick nearly as hard as a .30-06. What's good about the 7mm? Well, the bullets that are offered from the factory have excellent ballistic coefficients. They seem to be very efficient. The 7mm-08 has very mild recoil compared to other cartridges designed for similar use (i.e. .270, .280, .308, .30-06), which, for me, makes it more fun to shoot and easier to shoot well.

Why do you use so bad of a bullet in the '06?
It's what was on sale at the time I headed out to the range to sight in the rifle. They grouped well, and performed well on the deer I've shot with them, so that's what I stuck with. If it was a strict apples to apples comparison, i.e. using the Remington PSP CL's for all three cartridges, the 7mm is still flatter shooting, although the difference isn't quite as great.

To respond to your "how far can it kill" question...

I believe it's a generally accepted rule of thumb that you want a minimum of 1000 ft lbs of energy at the range you're shooting the deer (some folks set their minimum at 800). The bullets will certainly kill while retaining less energy, but, I think we can use that as a starting point. "Rules of thumb" exist for a reason...

Using the 1000 ft lbs minimum, the .243 is a 300 yard cartridge, the .30-06 is a 400 yard cartridge. And, the 7mm-08 still has 1005 ft lbs at 500 yards.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

.270 from your list.

I'd take my 7MM Rem Mag if the deer are big and the range is long, otherwise it's my .243 Win.

BTW - PBR on the .243 & the 7MM is just about 300 yards.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
To respond to your "how far can it kill" question...

I believe it's a generally accepted rule of thumb that you want a minimum of 1000 ft lbs of energy at the range you're shooting the deer... Using the... minimum, the .243 is a 300 yard cartridge
Au contraire. Even further.

Using a Remington 90gr. Swift Scirocco Bonded bullet, using less than max powder load, one can achieve the 1k lbs. at 400 yards.

I've always felt the .243 was underrated as a long distance gun. Too many connotations it's a "kids" or "woman's" gun. For punching paper, it can go comfortably beyond the 400 yard mark.

iSnipe
Old 12-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Open Range
Oddly enough...one of my favorite 7-08 loads retain 1000+ ft lbs to the 800yd line.
So, why ask the question "What is a 7-08 anyhow?"? I thought you honestly didn't know, and I was trying to give some basic information.

Thanks for your "experience" on these matters.
Hmmm.... usually when someone structures their sentence that way, with a word in quotations marks, they intend a bit of sarcasm... If you'd care to point out anything I said which indicates that my "experience" was incorrect, please, let me know.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Au contraire. Even further.

Using a Remington 90gr. Swift Scirocco Bonded bullet, using less than max powder load, one can achieve the 1k lbs. at 400 yards.

I've always felt the .243 was underrated as a long distance gun. Too many connotations it's a "kids" or "woman's" gun. For punching paper, it can go comfortably beyond the 400 yard mark.

iSnipe
I'm sure you can coax quite a bit more out of all the cartridges listed. Unfortunately, I only reload for my .45's and my shotguns, so I'm stuck, for the time being, with factory ammo, and a budget that pushes me towards the Remmy green boxes...
Old 12-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

If legal you should try the famed .223! Hard to believe it had not been mentioned yet.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
Take a hard look at the 7mm-08. It's a short action cartridge, so the rifles are a bit shorter, and, therefore, a little more handy in the woods. And, a 140 gr 7mm-08 is flatter shooting than a 150 gr .30-06 or .308, and, at 300 yards, has more retained energy, so it'll perform quite nicely on the longer shots you might see in Wyoming.
+1 to the above

i have a browning 7mm-08 and absolutely love it. it is has a 22" barrel and is light enough for me to carry all day in the PA hardwoods, but flat shooting to take deer out to 300 yards...I always used it in silhouette shoots in the "hunting rifle" categories (no special mods, no greater than 9x scope).

140gr handloads have taken at least 15 deer, no follow-ups required
Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 308 would be my first choice with the 30:06 as a close second.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
Have you tried Federals Power Shok150gr load?I've only tried Rem 150gr CL's along with the Feds in my Ruger Hawkeye AW in .280 since I just wanted to get some brass for reloading but I'd be very surprised if I can get better accuracy than the Fed load.The Rem load shoots 3 shot groups about 1 3/4" at 100 yds on average but I've gotten several 2 holes overlaping 3 shot groups with the Feds.Wicked accurate!!!
http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...fle.aspx?id=14
If you reload try reloader19 powder I've had the best groups with 58.5 grains but work your way up .5 grains at a time start at around 56gr. and work up you should be fine just check for signs of pressure (ie) flat or pushed out primers! I've tried lots of powder and my local smithy turned me on to the reloader19 and I've had several freinds try it and loved the groups they had with it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.