Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cammo or No Cammo?

Old 12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have read every response to my post and want to thank everyone for the input which seems to all boil down to this. Scent,noise and to much movement should be my first concerns. Breaking up my outline by melting in to what is around me is a plus and can't hurt,but guarentees nothing. I confess that I like wearing the camo because mentally I feel more confident that I will not be detected if the wind is in my favor and movement is minimal when the Deer is looking away. I'll put it all to the test tomarrow morning when I go for my Doe and what I hope will be another succesful hunt,if not then bless GOD I got another day in the woods. Good Hunting All!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Best cover to use in the woods is Burlap!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Spike

I have always worn camo but that is going to change this coming year. I just picked up a Filson Mack Wook Cruiser Jacket and a pair of the Mack Wool Field Pants in the hunter green. I expect the only difference that I am going to notice is that I will finally be warm without having to dress up like the kid in the Christmas Story going into the woods. I look forward to finding out.
Tuck
Old 07-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Someone once said; you don't need it in the truck, but you need it if you get out of the truck ! LOL
Old 07-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Spike

my opinion is that camo is made for the human eye and not deer.With all the detail in some of the patterns it looks good to us but does not really matter.Next time your at the store have some one hold the camo at the end of the isle and most of the time it is a blob. I have taken many deer in all types of clothes, i find it better to wear two dif patterns, i always wear the same coat from walmart,i will wear matching pants sometimes or woodland camo pants, army digital gray pants or my carhart bibs.I think it is more important to have a better pattern on the upper part of your body then the bottom.You move alot more on top then the bottom. it is all about the wind, comfort and your confidence.just my 2cents, good luck this yr may your arrows and bullets fly strait and true and all kills clean and quick.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

Good point RobertSO1. I bow hunt on the ground and have worn split patterns (Pants/Shirt) for years. It really makes a difference if you use light/dark combinations. I agree with a lot of people here. Lots of us have known for years that deer see colors, just not what we see probably. It depends where you hunt. If you sat in light colored rocks, Carhart would be good. If you sat in front of a dark spruce tree, not good. I have known for years that deer can see orange under poor light conditions. I had it proved to me many times when hunting dark cloudy days and right at the end of the day. Sitting in front of a dark object is no good either. On the other hand, deer are blind to orange in snow or in front of very light rocks. I know you will always hear the "One time..." story from a lot of guys, but there are smart deer and not so smart deer. One time I was bow hunting in Maryland wearing full camo. I saw two fawns to my left really close watching me walk up on a couple deer. I took a shot and as soon as the bow jumped the fawns came running over to me to check me out from 2 feet away. Good camo? No the fawns never saw a man before and were stupid. You just figure out what works for you where you hunt and don't worry about what people say.