Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2009 Gun Season

Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2009 Gun Season

Everybody in the group except me got one. I was only able to hunt the weekend and today because school got cancelled from snow.

Big 7 pointer (middle) scored 127 3/8
One with the bloody nose is my brothers second buck and biggest buck. Dont ask why he head shot it. He doesn't know either... He was on one side of the fence line hunkered down and the buck was on the other side getting ready to jump over him and probably right on top of him so he jumped up and just had a bad shot. Still a easy track job and a instant kill. Might make a pretty bada** euro mount with a hole in it and the other side of the skull blown off.
The buck on the very right, the group found monday out hunting on some new property. They said the body was all ate up and its been laying there for sometime now. The rack was messed up. You can tell in later pics... We were going to euro mount him for the cabin and I noticed that his head was all swolen up (or it seemed like it) so I started cutting away down from the top of his head down and pus just came running out like crazy. Everybody thought it was nasty but I thought it was pretty funny. I never did skin his head out. We are going to put him in the boiler and try boiling out the pus then make skin him.

Heres the one my uncle shot... Its pretty tall.

Then heres the messed up buck that they found.
His messed up side was alot bigger than his normal side. You cant really tell in this picture but his messed up side is the left side.

You can tell better how his left side grew out awkward.

Then today my grandpa shot a nice 10 pointer that I measured at 143 1/8. We talked my grandma into letting him get it mounted. So we already took it to the taxis and never got pics.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

how do you have bucks the next year!? how much known?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't worry, I bet school will be canceled tomorrow! Mine is!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like you guys must have a lot of bucks running around over there.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nick_bleuer76
Don't worry, I bet school will be canceled tomorrow! Mine is!
What school?

Williamsburg is cancelled tomorrow too but I think im gonna skip on hunting through a blizzard.

cwanty03 and WIbuckchaser. This is what our shop usually looks like every year. Every year we get nice deer and every year we see new bucks that are coming in good. Our doe population is over powering the bucks so alot of those does are getting bred and we get more and more bucks. We got some genetics going on out there too because a couple years ago a friend of ours shot a 200+ nontypical buck that had like two main beams and all sorts of drop tines and he shot it about 2 miles from where we hunt. And starting last year we have been seeing several drop tine bucks or bucks that have funky looking racks. This year I shoulder hit one with my bow that we couldn't find and he had 4 droptines and a 5th one starting. He was still alive, because I got trail cam pics of him 3 days after I shot him. Hopefully he makes it through the gun seasons.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I often have the luck you said you had. Usually most of the guys that I hunt with will kill one and I hardly ever do. I seem to have my luck during black powder season usually and not much later on. Maybe the rest of the season will be good luck for both of us.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pope94/IA
Our doe population is over powering the bucks....
and by filling your shed with young bucks and no Does, the Doe populations will contuinue to grow out of hand. Remember, there must be a balance.

CONGRATS on your hunt and good luck on future hunts.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

We only had two doe tags. And we filled one of them. I got a doe with my bow. We dont manage our deer heards but we always try to take does when we can. But this year we only had two tags. We have alot of doe tags for late muzzleloader. Thats when we usually get does.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats... you boys did some killin!!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pope94/IA
What school?
I live in West Bend, but I go to school at ICCC in Fort Dodge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.