Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why hunting is necessary

Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 AM
Spike

Default Why hunting is necessary

I need some input on a persuasive speech I'm writing on why hunting is necessary. My main points are exponential population growths, pest control, and the revenue generated by hunters. Any facts or sources I can look up would be appreciated.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Because when the zombie apocolypse comes, the grocery store is probably not going to be readily accessible....

no, really....traditions and cultural identity are important to the health and well-being of the individual and society as a whole. The lessons learned through hunting, along a well worn path of generational passing of culture is exceptional for building virtues like hard work, responsibilty, self-suffiency, and strengthening family bonds.

I makes me warm and fuzzy. And...it provides essential skills in the event of economic, environmental, ecological catstrophy or other such events.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

why hunting is necessary? HMMMM, cause it makes me feel alive dude
Old 12-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bowfly
why hunting is necessary? HMMMM, cause it makes me feel alive dude

X2!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Spike

I also did a persuasive speech in favor of hunting last year. My 3 main points were population control and revenues like you said, as well as the fact that the animals we kill and eat live much better lives than animals from "factory farms" that live in captivity their whole lives, which is where most of the animals we find in grocery stores come from. This point doesnt really support the fact that hunting is "necessary," but maybe ethical and perhaps you can fit it into your speech. Good luck
Old 12-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Mantana
If you hunts, you should knows
LOL! Whatd'ya doin'? Building your post count? You can come up with better than that! He's looking for info for his speech... of most likely will be to a host of people who have feelings against hunting, but more importantly, people who are on the fence about hunting and who are naive to what it's really about. So saying "If you hunts, you should knows"... falls a tad short on helping this person out. LOL! If he gets enough informative replies, it could help him and also the small chance some listener can be enlighten enough about hunting to get a license and try it!

iSnipe . "I'll be back." LOL!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Spike

hunting gives animals and the areas they inhabit a greater "worth" or "value" than if they were just there. increasing value via hunting acts as a catalyst or incentive for conservation. so if there is a threatened species a limited amount of hunting (it depends on the situation) may aid in its recovery. revenue from hunting can also be used directly for conservation.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

You might research the "exponential growth" issue. Ecological speaking deer are K strategists and will typically grow up to a land carrying capacity and then fluctuate in stasis within the land carrying capacity.

R strategists experience exponential growth. Exponential growth is followed drastic population reduction as the growth raped the land capacity of every resource available to the organism. Very few organisms (especially of higher order) are r strategists and experienience exponential growth patterns.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

One point that I always like to make to the anti-hunting argument that animals should live a 'natural life': it's very rare for an animal in the wild to die of old age. Either the elements (e.g. harsh winters) or a predator will kill it sooner or later, so even the total abolishment of hunting would not eliminate violent death in the animal kingdom. Ethical hunting is a far less cruel way for an animal to die than most ways that Mother Nature can dish out.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by teedub31
You might research the "exponential growth" issue. Ecological speaking deer are K strategists and will typically grow up to a land carrying capacity and then fluctuate in stasis within the land carrying capacity.

R strategists experience exponential growth. Exponential growth is followed drastic population reduction as the growth raped the land capacity of every resource available to the organism. Very few organisms (especially of higher order) are r strategists and experienience exponential growth patterns.
You are correct, but if you're going to discuss growth rates in that manner, it's also important to discuss S curves and J curves. A population that is truly balanced will fluctuate along some sort of S curve without much degradation of either the population or the environment (K strategists). A population that is out of control will increase sharply, and then crash (J curve). Some biologists theorize that if hunting were abolished, deer in some areas (e.g. where harsh winters or natural predators are absent) would actually act like an R strategist to some degree, if not as a pure R strategist. They'd quickly increase, degrade the environment, and then crash. Look at some of the enclosure studies that have been done where fences are erected to keep deer out of small areas to see what the vegetation composition would be without deer. High deer densities have a huge effect on the environment.

This is important to mention because it provides a solid rationale for hunting in areas with milder climates and no natural predators.

Last edited by UPHunter08; 12-08-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.