Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your first gun and your first deer. >

Your first gun and your first deer.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your first gun and your first deer.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Spike

I have 2 stories
I shot my first deer in 1992 when i was 13. We were driving doe during the doe season and up pops this doe about 15 feet in front of me. I shot it with my great grandfathers model 94 winchester 30-30. It dropped right there so my dad helped me gut it and i had to drag it the rest of the drive so we could finish. I remember everyone laughing at me coming through all this thick moutain laurel with a dead deer tied around my waste.
First buck was in 1998. I was hunting alone on my dads farm(he and my younger brother were in the mountains, I had to work.) At 9 AM a big spike walked up about 50 yards away so i let him have it with the old 30-30. I shot it and was so excited but did not really know what to do. I only ever shot that one doe from before and my dad pretty much gutted it. So I ran to the house and got my step mom who hunted in her youth. SHe helped me gut it out and get it out of the woods. It was one of my prouder moments!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

My first deer harvested was a doe. It was my second year hunting at age 13. I was using my .243Win. pump action which I still use to this day 15 years later. My dad bought me this gun after being unsuccessfull with a .308 lever action my first year, missing 2 deer. I love my gun and take excellent care of it. The first deer will never be forgotten and was the first of plenty that came after and will probably continue to with this gun, until they change the season to slug only.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

First day of doe season in 1994, Browning 7mm-08...Dad and I standing together, 14 doe and fawn run across the field in front of me...Dad says "pick one out and stay with it, shoot when you are ready" as I do as he says, he quickly says "look to the right!" and i raise the gun. In all the commotion, we didn't notice one standing along the woods edge, ready to bust out and join the horde running across the field...settling the crosshairs, i make the perfect behind the shoulder shot, then start shaking uncontrollably...he asks "you got her!" and i watch him swing his rifle and take down one of the lead deer from the earlier group...he says "congratulations son, your first doe!" to which i reply "congratulations dad, your's did a somersault" i was 12
Old 12-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Spike

Thompson Center Encore 7mm Rem Mag. Shot was about 150 yards and it was a doe. And it was my first day ever gun hunting i was 12 at the time.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was 9 yrs old sometime in late november. I used a 20ga Franchi shotgun with just a BB sight and shot a 6pt in the rear as he was running off