Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Long range deer hunting

Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Spike

Default Long range deer hunting

Just courious on the greatest distance u have harvested a deer?

I just started hunting some bean feilds up in VA and a few weeks ago i buzzed a big doe ( just found a little blood and some white brisket hair) i new it wasnt a great shot when she jumped and hauled butt.

the range finder had her at 235 yards. i should not have tried it but my trusty 270 had always did well up he 125 yards.( where i hunted in Sc that was a long shot in heavy woods)

any advice on shooting far on deer? is it different than shootin paper?

My rifle shoots 150g bullets an 1 in high at 100 yards..i guess i need to practice but i dont have a range nearby thats more than 100 yards.

any advice would help.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2009, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

235 for a .270 is a chip shot; rather any caliber of suitable size for that distance. I've shot them significantly further than that, like several hundreds of yards. Long distance has to be practiced. First on the bench to make sure you're hitting, then in a situation same or similar to your actual field conditions.

Long distance shooting has the same criteria as normal shooting. Meaning you have certain standards of how you will take a shot. If it's not a good shot, too far, don't feel right, too windy or just can't get a good steady rest, it's best to pass on it.

Right now I'm thinking of how many .308 ammo I should make up in one bunch because I'm practicing a lot. Long distance shooting is fun. It's too bad you don't have a further range. Shooting at those ranges builds a person's confidence when they face the same distance in the field.

Many hunters can shoot a 5" dot at 200 yards. That's good enough when aiming at the middle of the boiler room. Better to hit a 3" dot, so people should practice for that goal. Shooters who practice more can hit a smaller dot on a more consistent basis.

Be certain of your rest, because a steady rest will help you stay still and keep that barrel quiet when you're shaking from the adrenaline. LOL! Your 150gr. bullet hitting 1" high at 100 yards will drop approx. a hair over 2 1/2" at 200 yards. It's best to take your gun to that range and practice it, then you'll know for sure.

As for comparing shooting deer and paper, they are the same in many ways. You have to know your distance. You may have to compensate for wind. You have to make a good squeeze. You have to stick to your same shot routine. Have to feel good about the shot and have a steady rest. The biggest difference is how you will react when you are feeling the adrenaline. Unless you're in competition, shooting at paper doesn't get you the rush that shooting at a live deer will and that's difference that counts. The excitement and the adrenaline of shooting at a live deer can be controlled by doing it more. Eventually you start to get use to it. You can talk your way through calming yourself; taking your time, etc.

My advice is to never take shots at game you first haven't practiced enough to be good at it. Practice those long range shots.

iSnipe
Old 12-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last Tuesday late afternoon I shot mine at 318 yards. We hunt the open prairie and plains with little cover. Long shots are fairly common and we also get alot of practice at long range.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot an 8 pointer at 238 yards and a 9 pointer at 426 yards this season. I got the 9 pointer this past weekend. Both went down where they stood. Shot them with a Browning A-bolt .270 WSM with Win. 130 gr. ballistic silvertips. I hunt a power-pipeline that runs through my property, so I have practiced a lot at long ranges. I feel just as confident shooting one at 300 yards as I do at 50.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

longest shot was about 300yds on an antelope from a .270win
Old 12-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt thick, nasty woods in NH and Maine. My furthest shot was a few years back when I shot a buck with my M/L at about 70 yds. All other deer have been taken at 20-35 yds.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Spike

my longest was a whitetail doe at 296 with a 7mm wsm.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Once you know it's a "shooter", remove yourself mentally from the situation and follow your normal range routine.

Always have a good rest for long shots.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

I really haven't had many opportunities to make long range shots as I generally hunt in pretty thick brush and am fairly patient on my shots. A few years ago a friend and I pulled up on top of a big hill and saw a small herd of hogs down at the bottom. I picked up his .25-06 (this was a slick rig, Remington 700, yeah but custom float job and Zeiss glass on it) and drilled porky behind the ear on the run. I could never, ever make that shot again if I tried.

I'm guessing 200-250 yards downhill.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

My furthest was with my 25-06 heavy barrel ruger, a doe was out at 256 yards, the field is 267 yards in length, she dropped where she stood from a 120 grain hollow point

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.