Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buckshot effectiveness

Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Spike

iSnipe,
i was opting for a deer drive set up. i own a mossberg 695 with a 2-7x nikon prostaff scope that i shoot hornady sst 12ga slugs out of when im hunting by myself, but a couple buddies want to drive some property and im going to consider the buckshot option. were going to be all over the northern part of NJ and i just wanted to be prepared for any situation that could happen. if the deer was running, i would rather have the multiple pellets with the 00
Old 12-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chek out the tri-ball here- http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

I haven't used it yet, but I have heard some positive reports on them.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Spike

My mistake..i called one of the guys up and they use 00 3 1/2 inch winchester super x...i still swear i remeber some guys having 3 1/2 ich 000 buck...maby its was 3 in 000. I know i have seen 000 in 3 1/2..it might have been shells loaded at home b uy these guys...??
Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by that_guy
iSnipe,
i was opting for a deer drive set up. i own a mossberg 695 with a 2-7x nikon prostaff scope that i shoot hornady sst 12ga slugs out of when im hunting by myself, but a couple buddies want to drive some property and im going to consider the buckshot option. were going to be all over the northern part of NJ and i just wanted to be prepared for any situation that could happen. if the deer was running, i would rather have the multiple pellets with the 00
If the deer is running, do the ETHICAL thing and don't pull the trigger.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Allen Denton
My son uses a 20 gauge 870 with 3" #2 buck and I limit his shots to 40 yards. He has dropped 3 of the five deer he has killed in the past 2 years in their tracks and 2 others went less then 100 yards, the 2 bucks we had to track and the 3 does fell when he pulled on them. Wolfman who makes the 3 1/2 000, I have not ever seen 000, only the Nitro and they are over $100 for 25 shells.
Yeah I've not seen 3 1/2" 000 buckshot either only 00. I've looked before so if you guys know of a source I don't I'd be interested to find out about it.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by solocamcan
If the deer is running, do the ETHICAL thing and don't pull the trigger.
I don't know that I agree with that. I think it all depends on the person shooting. Do I think someone who has only practiced at a still target should shoot? Maybe not. However, I hunt with a lot of guys that hunt with dogs so 90% of the shots the deer is running. Most of them can hit them almost all of the time with the shotgun and several of them hit them the majority of the time with the rifles. One guy I hunt with shot one last year. He is probably the best shot I know. I wasn't personally there but someone else was with him and they said he shot it at around 150-200 yards with his .270. He said he thought it was a doe but it turned out to be a buck with the antlers gone on one side. Anyway, they both said it was flat out running close to the ground and moving fast. He shot the first time and said the deer never even slowed down. Thought he missed and shot again. Said it slowed down slightly this time but kept on moving pretty good so shot again. This time he said it fell over.

When we were skinning it later that afternoon turns out two shots had hit him in the lungs and one shot had hit him a little further back but still hit him. I also hunted with this guy another day when he shot a running buck and shot at a doe that was running with it. Thought he missed the doe until it came back by him again and he shot it again killing it. Turns out the buck dropped right where it was when he shot as it was a perfect shot and when he shot the doe it was a good shot but a little far back and the doe didn't fall right there and ran maybe 50 yards in which he had time to shoot again and drop it.

To me if this guy can do this with a rifle I see no problem why he shouldn't be able to shoot running deer. Infact I don't know that I've ever seen him miss. Not trying to brag on him I just don't think I can honestly say I've ever seen him miss.

I know a couple other guys that while they aren't as good of a shot as this guy also hit the deer almost all of the time even if it is running. There are a lot of guys that are good shots that have lots of practice hitting moving targets that I have no issues if they want to shoot at a running deer as I'm confident they will hit it.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I don't know that I agree with that. I think it all depends on the person shooting. Do I think someone who has only practiced at a still target should shoot? Maybe not. However, I hunt with a lot of guys that hunt with dogs so 90% of the shots the deer is running. Most of them can hit them almost all of the time with the shotgun and several of them hit them the majority of the time with the rifles. One guy I hunt with shot one last year. He is probably the best shot I know. I wasn't personally there but someone else was with him and they said he shot it at around 150-200 yards with his .270. He said he thought it was a doe but it turned out to be a buck with the antlers gone on one side. Anyway, they both said it was flat out running close to the ground and moving fast. He shot the first time and said the deer never even slowed down. Thought he missed and shot again. Said it slowed down slightly this time but kept on moving pretty good so shot again. This time he said it fell over.

When we were skinning it later that afternoon turns out two shots had hit him in the lungs and one shot had hit him a little further back but still hit him. I also hunted with this guy another day when he shot a running buck and shot at a doe that was running with it. Thought he missed the doe until it came back by him again and he shot it again killing it. Turns out the buck dropped right where it was when he shot as it was a perfect shot and when he shot the doe it was a good shot but a little far back and the doe didn't fall right there and ran maybe 50 yards in which he had time to shoot again and drop it.

To me if this guy can do this with a rifle I see no problem why he shouldn't be able to shoot running deer. Infact I don't know that I've ever seen him miss. Not trying to brag on him I just don't think I can honestly say I've ever seen him miss.

I know a couple other guys that while they aren't as good of a shot as this guy also hit the deer almost all of the time even if it is running. There are a lot of guys that are good shots that have lots of practice hitting moving targets that I have no issues if they want to shoot at a running deer as I'm confident they will hit it.
I agree. When I first started hunting with dogs I saw some of the more experienced guys shoot bucks running fast and thought I would never be able to learn how to shoot a moving target. 5 years later, those shots are fairly easy now.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman

Kind of reminds me of that movie "Sniper" where the young guy claims to have shot a guy out of a moving helicopter, and Tom Berenger calls his bluff and proves his story to be a bunch of fabricated lies. Im not saying your lying, but c'mon, anyone knows the likely hood of hitting a deer in the right spot while its running compared to a still or walking deer are night and day. And to do it with 00 buckshot with it's 40 yard max effectiveness equate to hopefully a miss and not wounded animals.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by solocamcan
Kind of reminds me of that movie "Sniper" where the young guy claims to have shot a guy out of a moving helicopter, and Tom Berenger calls his bluff and proves his story to be a bunch of fabricated lies. Im not saying your lying, but c'mon, anyone knows the likely hood of hitting a deer in the right spot while its running compared to a still or walking deer are night and day. And to do it with 00 buckshot with it's 40 yard max effectiveness equate to hopefully a miss and not wounded animals.
Buckshot at 40 yds usually has a pattern that will cover the whole vital area, it's very easy to kill one with buckshot at 40 yds running. I was referring to using a rifle, I hardly ever shoot my shotgun. He is also talking about deer being ran by dogs, therefore the dogs will recover a wounded animal.

Of course it seems hard if you are not experienced at it or are not familar with shooting running deer. To people who run dogs these shots are not hard, as they are expected.

Last edited by bryant1; 12-09-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's interesting how different hunters in different areas of the country view practices that are quite common in other areas...

I guess some guys don't shoot at quail, rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, doves, ducks or crows while they are flying or running either...

Hunters were using dogs to run deer in the South before the Revolutionary War...This developed in the area along the coast and the weapon of choice was a fowler loaded with buckshot...Buckshot is very effective when patterned and the shooter tries different choke tubes and different brands and size buckshot...It's the same as sighting in a centerfire rifle...

I've got a Browning B-80 that will put 5-6 Winchester 00 buck into a 8 inch circle at 40 yards...It throws a nice even pattern and has killed around 30 deer out to 50 yards...The trick is to learn to shoot a shotgun and shoot these running deer like you do doves, rabbits, squirrels etc...

Another point many don't realize is that when dog hunting deer an the hunter has a shot the dogs follow up behind the deer and often find for the hunter...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.