Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer age

Old 12-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Spike

Default deer age

I don't have a picture but, My brother in law shot a buck yesterday. 8 pointer, nice heavy rack. score about 110+. It had a broken front leg.(probably a car accident) He shoot it. Took it to the buck contest we are all entered in(goes by field dresses weight) weighed 236. So he it took it in to the CWD check-in, the guy there aged the deer at 1.5. I said no way. deer was well muscled, thick neck.
The area we hunt does have some really high quality bucks, 4 years ago a 225incher was taken, and there are great bucks in the area.
So without a picture is it possible a 236 pound field dressed deer could be 1.5 years old.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only the teeth will tell the age for sure. But, I doubt that a deer that size would be only 1.5 yr's old. I have seen, though, a 4 1/2 yr. old buck with a rack that wouldn't score 110.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

110" deer to me would suggest 2.5yo, most 1.5yo are just small eights or sixes etc...like I think on part with prob a score of 50" maybe. Perhaps it's 1.5 but i would doubt it.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the dressed weight, highly doubtful, unless the fender was still embedded in it's side.