Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Advice on Homemade Tower Stand PLEASE!!! >

Advice on Homemade Tower Stand PLEASE!!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice on Homemade Tower Stand PLEASE!!!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Spike

Default Advice on Homemade Tower Stand PLEASE!!!

Our season ends here in SC on Jan 1 so it will soon be time for me to get a couple of tower stands ready that I've been planning on building for some time. I do know that I'm going to use the elevators for the legs and that I'm probably going to put them either 8' or 10' off the ground. Here's my questions:

1. I want the boxes to be atleast 4'X6' but for some reason I think I need to go with 6'X6'. Question is I know 4'X6' is big enough for 2 adults. Is 6'X6' big enough for 3?

2. These stands need to be semi-portable. Odds are that when I place them they will be there for years. But with the lease situation on my hunting club's property, it is atleast a possibility that I will need to move them at some point. Got any ideas on this situation.

3. How big should the windows be. This will be a gun only blind.

4. What type of seating do you normally use. I need comfort but want them as quite as possible.

Also if anyone has pics, especially of stands constructed with elevators I'd love to see them.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Spike

I made one last off season. It was 4x6 I believe. Ill get some pics scrounged up and post em for you. I had spare but really good quality wood laying around and only came out of my pocket 30$ for the plywood sides and roof. I didnt put it on elevators as it sits in a 80acre flat corn field so I just elevated mine 4 ft using main beams. And a heads up..in no way is mine portable. Id suggest finding a way to cut weight somewhere which I didnt. I ll get pics up asap if I can to help ya out.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would suggest using fiberglass..and the floor is the only place ya need to worry about strength ...this way only requires about 20 more feet of steel, and will be extremely useful ..Advice on Homemade Tower Stand PLEASE!!!-blind-portable-2.jpg

Advice on Homemade Tower Stand PLEASE!!!-deer-blind-portble.jpg

ps dont put the door under the trailer if you will...

add some cross braces from the bottom of the feet all the way around

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 12-02-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

i'll try to get you some idea's and measurements from our box stands, we pre-assemble them and can erect a stand at our fields in less than an hour, we use post hole diggers set the main post, x-brace and then take the sub-assem, starting with the floor and start screwing the 6 peices (the floor, the sides (4) one with the door in it) then the roof) together...

on your deminsions i'd go for 4x8 standard sheet sizes, ours are 4X4 and are a decent size for an adult and a younger teen, the 4x8 should be plenty for 3 adults..

seating, buy some of the fold out chairs that pleople take to ball games, they are reasonbley comfortable,,pad the floor with old carpet, i don't remember our window dimensions but i'm thinking 6"-8" tall all the way around...

i'll take some picks this W/E if you'd like to see

the price on ours runs around 150 a stand, all pressure treated stuff and metal roofs
Old 12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

m.t.hands,
I'd be interested in seein some pictures of your set-up as well. Have been thinking of building a box stand or 2 as well, not necessarily portable, but fairly inexpensive.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SDarcher
m.t.hands,
I'd be interested in seein some pictures of your set-up as well. Have been thinking of building a box stand or 2 as well, not necessarily portable, but fairly inexpensive.

i'll take some picks over the W/E and i'll try to draw up the plans in the next day or so, there really easy and can be moved or removed almost as quickly as putting them up, pulling the post can be a little tough, but nothing a tractor or even a tractor jack won't pull

if we build anymore this year i'll try to do a pictoral menu to follow